Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Remembering 2015 - Life

The good news about 2015 is I changed job. Better news is that my middle son moved in with me.

My previous job was sucking my will to live. Long hours, low pay, working weekends and bank holidays. Then, as I'm 'a flexible resource' (notice the lack of any humanity in that phrase), I was to be moved into another role that would see me sent wherever and whenever they want.

Stuff that. I don't mind working hard, but I do object to be thrown anywhere they decide, staying in low budget B&Bs with little or nothing to do.

Thankfully my skills were such that I found a different job within a few months, started in July and have my life back. No weekends, no bank holidays, same money, 5 fewer hours per week. After five months in the job, I'm still enjoying it and though I have a shift pattern that has me starting at 6am sometimes or finishing at 8pm on others, my working day is shorter and I have a half day to enjoy before/after work.

My hobbies, such as they are, have also seen a change. Due to illness I wasn't able to take part in much in the early part of the year, but I've still played a role in a murder mystery, as the butler who didn't do it, and this week will be doing my usual part of being a nasty old sod on stage, passing on a cursed item.

Due to mental health issues I've not been as fully involved as I would have liked, but still managed to produce the one act plays, design the set and lighting plan, as well as learn lines for my three small parts (stop sniggering at the back).

My middle son (the one with his tongue sticking out) was kicked out of the house by his mother because he hadn't got a job. His stepfather told him not to come back till he had one, waking him a few mornings in a row telling to get out of the house and find a job.

It took me a few months to find one, how is he meant to find one in a day, or a couple of weeks? Jobs do not grow on trees.

He's now in my front room, sleeping on the sofa, and has a work placement after four months of looking. I'm enjoying having him around, even if the place looks like a tornado's been through it, feeling as if my family's coming back together. All it needs is my youngest to join us and it will be complete.

I'm still single, but adapting. Women keep saying to me that I'm a nice guy and I'll find someone, then add that it won't be them. They are, of course, assuming that I'm interested in them in the first place, which is a bit egotistical. Sometimes I am, but mostly not. They're pleasant enough but not my type. If they don't like reading or enjoying silence together, then they can keep walking away.

I've been on dating sites, but not come across anyone I'd like to spend my life with. Maybe I'm too picky, but after one bad, 16 year marriage and another humiliating, 10 month relationship, I'd rather wait for someone who's as right for me as I am for her. Not perfect, but good enough.

I'm not sure what next year holds for any of this, but I'm currently in a good place and looking forward to what it brings.

See you Friday.





1 comment:

DRC said...

Sounds like you've been through the wars recently, but looks like things are starting to pick up for you. My fingers are crossed that they continue to x