Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The Thinker

How often do you think about writing? Not just stories, but how to actually write the story down?

I do it a lot, which can get rather awkward when I'm on the phone with a customer needing their PC fixed. I can be talking about Webex software and why they can't allow outside companies to know our internal IP addresses as we're a defence company, when suddenly I want to write a short story about hacking. Not only that, I want to work out the best way to write it.

Oftentimes it's not the story that's important, but how you tell it. Whose POV do you use, what description is needed to set the scene and keep the tension going etc.

It's not what, it's how.

As an aside, here are a collection of links for swear words and slang throughout the history of English:

21 forgotten curse words

56 victorian slang words

11 medieval slang terms

A history of curse words

And 50 words that sound rude but aren't.

Have fun and I'll see you on Friday.

No comments: