Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Maria Gibbs

Today's guest is Maria Gibbs.  Let's hear it for the lady who answers some questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


1) Why do you write in your genre? What attracted you to it?

I suppose you could say romance predominantly, but I didn't specifically opt to write this genre. I write anything that needs to be written. Sometimes I place my fingers on a keyboard or put pen to paper and what I write is whatever flows out. At other times, something will trigger an idea, and then I write it. I would like to say that I have a plan, but I don't. I have recently written the first draft of a children's story and a variety of Work In Progress stories of varying genres. I think this also reflects in what I choose to read. I like many genres, Romance, Historical fiction, thrillers. If the cover attracts my attention and the blurb interests me, then I give it a try. A good author takes you into a new world that they have created, and that is what I love.


2) How much support do you think a writer needs? From who?

I believe that the writing world is a community, although the writing is done alone it is the community who support each other. Who is this community? It is other writers. It is great if you can also get help from friends and family, but that shouldn't be relied upon because none of them understand what you go through as a writer and what support you require. There is a really big marketplace out there which is plenty big enough for us all so passing on the tips we have learned along the way won't affect our sales.

3) How do you cope with the inevitable rejection that writer's get?

No one likes rejection, but I think the thing that you need to try to focus on is that all art it is subjective; what is right for one person doesn't make it right for another. That applies to bad reviews as well as the rejection letter from agents. I knew someone who had previously been a sub-editor for a reputable newspaper. She kindly read my novel that I had assumed at the time was near completion. (snorts loudly to self!) She said that everyone gets that rejection letter, and it was exciting that I was part of that process. That has stuck with me. That doesn't mean I don't get disappointed or down-heartened because we all want everyone to love what we write and want to snap us up. If you want to be an author, then you have to get beyond it and see if there is something that can be gleaned from it to help you become a better writer.

4) If you could meet one writer, who would it be? What would you ask them?

I would love to meet Sharon Penman, I am so very excited that I am Facebook friends with her. I'm not sure what I would ask her. I would probably stand there dumbstruck with mouth agape.


5) How easy do you find social media to use?

Social media I have discovered needs handling differently for each different site. Facebook I love, and it is easily interactive. Twitter I struggled more with because I didn't feel as though there was a group feel in the way that Facebook has. I have learned a lot over the last eight months, though. I signed up for Google+ but don't really use it. I think I need to find some time to connect with the million and one groups I signed up to initially! Maybe that was where I went wrong, too many groups, too daunting. I have a Goodreads account but don't like the format for the chat in there so only really use it for posting reviews. I have just this weekend signed up for Instagram and Snap Chat so watch this space. I think to sum it up you need time to develop a strong presence on all of these different sites and discover how to use them effectively.

6) What one mistake in your writing do you wish you'd known not to make when you started?

Ooh, I think I made too many but I think not researching the process properly beforehand maybe sums it all up. I wrote the books, published on Amazon Kindle and then my brain started to question what I needed to do next.

7) How many books (including ebooks) do you own? How many more would you like?

Wow, this really is a hard one. Short of spending the whole of the night counting I would hazard a guess as well over one thousand. Can you ever have too many books?


8) Which of your books would you like made into a film? What part would like to take?

I think it would have to be my WIP, which I have recently renamed 'Is this Love?' I think I would like to play Cass, the sister of one of the main characters who is feisty and ambitious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


And with that, I bid you adieu and I'll see you on Friday.







No comments: