Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Wendy Jones

Today's guest is crime writer Wendy H Jones.

.......................................................................................................

Thank you for hosting me on your blog today, Martin. It is a pleasure to be here. I am always happy to talk about what I do for a living - kill people, in a literary sense of course. I am Wendy, and write crime fiction under my full name of Wendy H. Jones. Hence I get to kill people for a living. I always tell anyone I meet it is best not to get on the wrong side of me otherwise they will end up as a dead body. My motto- revenge is a dish best served as a dead body in a novel.

I am slightly unusual in the world of crime writing in that my books are written for a crossover market. I am a Christian but my books are not overtly Christian. They are gritty crime books with all the realism that entails. However, they do not cover adult themes of sex, and there is no swearing. They have been written for a crossover market, so they can be read, and enjoyed, by both Christians and non-Christians.

When I first started writing crime books I was advised by an ex Chief Inspector. When I said I didn’t want to have any swearing his response was,

“That’s impossible. How on earth are you going to do that?”

This was a good question and I had to think long and hard about the answer. I now use it for comedic effect. Detective Inspector Shona McKenzie, the main character in my books, is totally against swearing. She is also fairly new to the Dundee Police Force and her number one rule is no swearing in the station. I will leave it to you to imagine how this is done, but I can assure you the criminal fraternity of Dundee do not take this lightly.

There is also no sex in the books. I want to focus on characterisation and the mystery elements. Shona does have a love interest, Douglas Lawson, who happens to be the Procurator Fiscal. Much of their romance takes place with a dead body lying at their feet. I am sure you will agree this is not conducive to a bedroom romp.

This takes me to another element of crime books - violence. There is no way a crime book can be written without this element and I can assure you this component is gritty and real. People say my first book has more dead bodies than an episode of Midsomer Murders. Even the real police in Dundee tweet about Shona McKenzie running around the streets of Dundee with a gun in her hands. I have been called bloodthirsty. I can live with that if it measn that readers enjoy the books.

My advice for anyone writing crime, or any other book, is to think about your intended audience. As I say my intended audience is anyone who likes crime books. However, no author can appeal to everyone. Think of your ideal reader and write for them. Then shape the book to meet their needs.

About the Author

Wendy lives, and writes, in Dundee Scotland where her DI Shona McKenzie Mysteries are set. Her first book, Killer's Countdown, was published in November, 2014. The second book, Killer's Craft, will be released on 20th July, 2015. You can find out more on her Amazon Author Page, Website & Blog.

..............................................................................................................

With that, I bid you adieu and I will see you on Friday.




No comments: