Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Angie Smith

Today's guest is Angie Smith, who answers a few questions about herself and her writing.

..........................................................................................

Where are you from?
I was born in South Yorkshire, UK, but my parents’ business brought me to West Yorkshire where I now live.

Tell us a little about yourself 
Very happily married with 2 grown up children, one grandson and two dogs.

How old are you?
‘ty something!

When and why did you begin writing?
So young I cannot remember! I was very happy to invent stories at school in answers to questions I didn’t know the answers to! Throughout my career I have been responsible for writing (policies/strategies/research studies) but found this constrained. Freedom is writing fiction.

How was your childhood?
Creative – I’ve blogged about this before – I was very creative which was often mistaken for naughtiness!

When did you first consider yourself to be an author? 
That would be when CXVI The Beginning of the End reached Amazon #1 best seller in Australia.

What inspired your first book?
A little insanity!

Do you base your characters upon people you know?
Only initially – they then wrestle with my emotions and develop into their own personalities.

Where did the title for CXVI The Beginning of the End come from?
Ah, you would need to read the book for that one!

Which books have most influenced you?
Forsyth’s The Day of the Jackal. Steig Larsson’s Millennium Series.

What are you working on at the moment?
The second in the CXVI Trilogy.

As a self-published author how have you marketed your book?
By losing the will to live! Seriously there is so much involved in this I had no idea, I really have struggled with social media but think I am getting the hand of it. Facebook, Twitter and now Pinterest. Oh and I have a website. I haven’t paid for any advertising – instead I tend to use networking.

What do you find challenging in writing?
Finding the time when there is so much going on in life.

Do you travel to research your settings?
Yes, I do feel it is important to gain a feel for any places included in my writing. Although I now feel I must visit Australia for different reasons.

Who designed the cover for CXVI The Beginning of the End?
That would be my dearest supportive husband.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
From close friends and family to complete strangers from all over the world I truly appreciate your support.

What makes you laugh/cry?
Oh dear! Anything and everything – I spend my life on the edges of emotions – I thought all authors did.

What do you consider is your greatest achievement?
Surviving cancer.

What do you do in your spare time?
What spare time?! No seriously, I love to spend time with my family and have found a real passion for gardening since moving to a house with large grounds.

What TV shows/films do you enjoy watching?
Realistic drama and documentaries.

If you hadn’t become a writer what would you do?
Animals! Something to do with animals – probably open a wildlife rescue centre.

Do you have a website?
www.cxvi.co.uk



..............................................................................................




No comments: