Tuesday, February 17, 2015

An Update On My Writing

I'm currently working on my third novel and it's harder than the other two in some ways, but easier in others.

The hard part was coming up with the idea, but a day of writing down everything I could think of then sorting through it all provided the basic story. A further few days was spent writing out roughly what would happen before I went hell for leather and started writing the whole thing from start to finish.

The easy part is editing it into something coherent, with a few subplots all merging with the main plot into a finale of epic proportions, which involves a grassy knoll, an invasion, a flying saucer and two people having sex.

(I wonder which of those points intrigued/interested you most. You can tell a lot about someone by the way they react to key words. You can also tell a lot about the person who writes the keywords in the first place. It's also true that if you put something in italics people are more likely to read it.)

What I've found much easier this time is the description of the world, the people and the story. Filling in the background. It's always been my weakest point, which is one reason I've branched out into plays and radio scripts.

It could be that I've finally learnt how to write descriptions after reading them for so many eyars and analysing it, but it's more likely that now I've actually written two books and noticed their shortcomings I know what to do. Practice makes perfect...or nearly perfect...well sort of perfect...better anyway.

I've divided the book up into it's relevant plotlines and am writing them separately so each plotline is coherent and having a lot of fun at the same time. I've tweaked the two lead characters on the Confucian fleet so they are spying each other in increasingly odd ways, each outwitting the other, or so they think. At the end I will....nah I'll let you find out for yourselves.

I've also been tossing around a few ideas for the cover. The last two had a similar theme and I intend to follow that colour style, but will instead have pictures of Mae and Ben on the front as they are the main protagonists. I'll use a picture of my son for Ben and teenage friend for Mae then photoshop it to make them attractive.

I'm joking.

I will photoshop the pictures but only a little. The two of them are too cute to mess around with.

So that's the state of play at the moment. See you on Friday for some more frolicking and fun, but no sex. Absolutely no sex. So don't think about sex. At all.  Get it out of your mind.

Or grass. Don't think about grass either.

Adieu



No comments: