Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Blog Hijack: Valentina Hepburn

This week I'm handing control over to Valentina Hepburn, a new author who has a great future ahead of her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, everyone

First of all I’d like to thank Martin for allowing me the space on his blog, From Sand to Glass, to talk to you about my writing and the road to publication. I’ve been a writer for long time, either for my own pleasure or as a copywriter for various companies. Copywriting and following some very definite ideas from clients helped me to hone my craft as a writer.

I can think of nothing better than to begin writing for the day, knowing at the end of it I’ll have produced enough work to take me closer to the conclusion of the story. I have various favourite places to write, either at the PC in our office from where we run our countryside management business, or in the snug with a laptop or notebook and pen. I keep a pen and something to write on with me all the time. Inspiration can hit you at the strangest moments.

My first novel, The Thornton Bequest, was truly awful, and is now buried along with my dream of publishing it, under the patio. I can only hope it will never be released from its prison and unleashed onto an unsuspecting world. Between then and now I’ve written various short stories, and poetry with which I’ve won a few prizes.

Recently, I’ve published two novels, A Dish Of Stones in the family life genre, and Notes On A Rebellion, the first in the Notes From Random Knight series, a fantasy with a thrilling mix of the dystopian and the medieval. Both were a joy to write and I’m currently writing A Girl Called Random, the second in the series, due to be released within the next few weeks.

Although from very different genres and with unique problems to solve, the main characters in A Dish Of Stones and Notes On A Rebellion are young women with the ability to love without conditions and a determination to make life better for themselves and those around them. Kate McGuire (Dish Of Stones) is a gentle soul who grits her teeth and holds on to her beliefs to get her through. Random Knight (Notes On A Rebellion) is feisty, flawed and very loveable. I feel privileged to have them in my life.

Like Martin, and I expect like you, I have a need to write. I don’t really understand why. I don’t come from a particularly artistic family, though with few notable exceptions: an aunt who was a wonderful painter and my grandfather who was head-gardener at Battersea Gardens in London in the 1950s. So why do I do it?

The answer could lie in the fact that I love to read. I’ve been a reader since I was four and the absolute joy of finding a book that takes you to wonderful places of escapism and allows you to meet characters that you would not usually come into contact with is a second-to-none experience. I’m also an introvert and quite shy. Writing gives me the opportunity to say and do things I probably wouldn’t in real life. My biggest hope is for people to read my work feel the same about my stories and fall in love with characters that are human; loveable, flawed, and like all of us, hoping for a happy ending.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read about my novels, and thanks again to Martin for giving me the opportunity to meet you.


Love,

Valentina


--------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read the first Random Knight book and can highly recommend it. I even have a signed copy [sigh].





1 comment:

Valentina Hepburn said...

Martin, this is wonderful. Thank you so much. Valentina x