Tuesday, July 08, 2014

DONE!

The first draft is finished. Now, the hard work begins.

The official, never to be seen by anyone except me ever, first draft is done. It chimes in at just over 26,000 words, and to say it's scant in detail in places is an understatement, but it is completed. If you want a peek, forget it. You'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead computer.

I've also finished the first edit of chapter 1 and posted part of it on Facebook for comments, both of which have been helpful and complimentary, and after editing it some more I'm going to show it to you.

For Ettore, this was the moment he’d worked for. Years of preparation, dozens of protest marches and rallies, several periods in jail, and now he was here in front of the crowd, leading them on to a new future. The people, his people, were ready for him to take his place in the vanguard of a new order, calling for him as the man on stage prepared the audience for Ettore’s arrival. They were whooping and clapping, delighted that, after all these years of repression, after the torture and the pain, they finally had a comedian who could tell them funny jokes.


Whad'ya think?

I've added a scene to the chapter already as I realised that I need to do a bit more character and scene setting, as well as adjusting the opening two scenes in chapter one. My aim is to average 5000 words per chapter (all 21 of them) as I go through, but if it takes 3000, so be it. The story will take as long as it takes without padding for the sake of it.

The next stage of the writing has begun.




2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Congrats!
For me, writing the first draft is the hard part. All the revision and editing afterwards are the fun parts. :)

Lexa Cain said...

Congrats! Getting the first draft done is a huge accomplishment. Celebrate, and then go in for the kill -- er -- revision. ;)