Tuesday, April 01, 2014

New View

I've got an electric scooter to get myself to work and back. It's not that I object to walking, it's just that I don't want to get fit. Can you imagine it? Me? Fit? If I was fit, as well as talented, humourous, kind and this awesome it wouldn't be fair to the rest of humanity.

This morning on my way to work, I was getting some admiring glances from kids. They stood and stared in awe at an old bloke doing something REALLY cool. It's something I'm used to seeing in the eyes of children (cough cough), but that's not the new view. When I'm standing on my scooter I'm six foot tall. The world looks so different.

Not smaller, just different. Maybe it's the angle, or that I can see over some walls, but I can see things in a way I've never seen them before.

Potholes look different. They don't look as deep, but they feel it when your tire dips into one.

I'm having to duck under bridges for the first time in my life, a really strange sensation.

I can see other men's bald spots.

Dogs stare at me in a different way. No longer am I a potential meal, but something to chase and have fun with.

Adults tend to look at me as if I'm crazy, but children look at me as if they want to have a go. I can see Christmas and birthday presents in their eyes.

It weighs about 40kg (85lbs ), so it's not something you can easily lift up, and it needs recharging every 10 miles or so, but it's so handy. The journey to work now takes 5 minutes instead of 25, which means more time to have breakfast and not feeling sweaty when I get to work, I can get over to my mother's house when I want to, and get to see my two younger sons more often.

But the view from up there? Interesting. I wonder what stories I will tell from the top of my scooter?







2 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I've always thought those scooters looked fun. But alas! My work is too far away from home, and I doubt that a scooter would be allowed on the freeway!

Valentina Hepburn said...

You don't want to get fit! What a brilliant idea. Loved your post. Have fun!