Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Creativity Or Skill


How creative would you say are? Most people answer not very, and would come to that judgement by comparing the quality of their work to the quality of a professional or someone very talented.

They confuse creativity with skill.

Creativity and skill are not necessarily linked all that closely. Creativity is a measure of how you think, whereas skill is a measure of how well you do something.

A person can have a great idea for a book, picture, game or business, but not have the skill to bring that idea to fruition.

Inventors are highly creative people, but they don't always have the skills, or the finances, to make the most of their ideas. Someone else will

The picture above is one of my own creations, done in ink. It's a rough sketch and something I created while thinking about flowers. I also have another idea for a picture, titled one in a thousand, but because I don't have the artistic skills, I can't bring it to fruition.  I've made several drawings, some in ink, some in pencil, but none of them are that good to me. The one above is okay as artwork, but not something you could display.

It doesn't mean I lack creativity, it means I lack the skill to translate that creativity into a piece of art. Skill and creativity are different.

Whenever you look at something you've created, don't lambast yourself for not achieving perfection or a work of art, remind yourself that you had the creativity to imagine it and smile.





2 comments:

Julie Luek said...

What a thought provoking post. I come from a very artistic family but got the short end of the stick when it comes to visual arts. I am, however, a very creative person, skill or not. I like the distinction you make... and I like your flower, very much!

Lexa Cain said...

I love the cute flower. It's 10 times better than I could do, so your skill is better than you think.

Yeah, creativity is nothing without skill, and skill takes effort. It's amazing how many people contact writers and say "I have a great idea, I just need someone to write it down in a book for me, and I'll share credit." And they're surprised when no one takes them up on it.