Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Play's The Thing

This week I'm appearing in an amateur theatre production of 'Guards! Guards!', based on the Terry Pratchett novel of the same name.

As with all these things, I'm playing some disreputable characters and an ape:
  • Thuggish palace guard
  • Snobby aristocrat
  • Thick and thuggy citizen
  • Chief librarian, the ape.
The only character in any way decent is a dwarf, whose son in six foot two inches tall.

The first dress rehearsal went surprisingly well, given that we've never had a full cast for any rehearsal, the set isn't finalised and we were missing one cast member who was working (the person she'd swapped with changed his mind), and our director come prompt come footnote who was laid up with a bad back.

Sure, we dropped a few lines, stumbled a bit here and there, but we got through it in record time with the minimum of fuss.

Tonight we have a second rehearsal and then a day off, before we do our three night stint at Knebworth Village Hall, Thursday to Saturday.

If you're in the area, drop in. I can guarantee a good laugh, good company and a bar. If you're lucky, I'll even sign your programme.









4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As they say, break a leg. And of course, have fun.

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

I wish I was in the area, I'd definitely be there! Have fun. Maybe somebody will take a short video? That would be awesome. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

Fun!
I miss my community theatre days. :(
Good luck with costume changes. Do you have an ape costume?

Once, when I was in Guys and Dolls, I played 7 different minor characters and had more costume changes than anyone else except the gal who played Adelaide!

Milo James Fowler said...

Sounds like a load of fun, Martin -- will you be posting photos?