Tuesday, November 19, 2013

To Be Or Not To Be...Original

Originality in writing is hard to define, as there is very little truly original in any story or character. Everything we write, every character has been written before. I'm certain that even those stories that were first written down were based on oral tales, and those tales were based on events lived by someone in the far distant past many, many generations ago.

So how can we be original? We can't. Listen to the words of two masters.



Stop worrying about originality. Just write your story.










4 comments:

Patrick Stahl said...

Originality is far below emotional impact on "the list."

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

This is absolutely something I struggle with.. I find myself constantly focusing on how to give my story a different twist than anyone else before me who has told a similar story.. I think if we all just truly do write what we know all of our works become unique because even tho our experiences may be similar how we perceive them will almost always be quite different..
Thanks for this post and those quotes. Needed 'em. :)

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I couldn't agree more. If you try to force originality you end up sounding insincere. Best to just write. Your voice is there and it will find it for you. Of course what do I know? Ha! Hello m'dear!

Julie Luek said...

A lot of wisdom here. I think if we just writer from our hearts, OUR voice will come through without trying.