Monday, June 24, 2013

A Day In The Life Of A Writer

Back in the mists of time, when life was hard, when men were real men and hamsters were my only friends, February this year, I entered a competition entitled 'A Day In The Life Of A Writer'. I didn't win, but I did get an honourable mention, and I am now going to share that honour with you.

(And if you find yourself nodding and saying 'I do that' at any of this, then know you're not alone)

..........................................................................................................

A Day In The Life Of A Writer

It starts at 6.30am. The alarm calls, but not with the harsh bleep of electronics. I wake to the tones of misery that Radio 4 call Today, and the first thing that reaches my ear and rushes to my brain is the sound of pomposity and anguish...and no one listening. I sometimes wonder why the presenters bother interviewing people when they spend so much time talking.

Eventually, I stagger to my feet and drag myself to the kitchen where I fall into my morning routine. Fill the kettle, take a mug from the cupboard, throw a teabag in, take a bowl from another cupboard, fill it with porridge and milk, pour hot water into the mug, place the bowl in the microwave for 4 minutes and add milk to the tea. Within 5 minutes I'm on my sofa, my eldest son is stirring and I'm reading a book.

By 10am, I'm semi-conscious and consult my timetable to see what writing activities I've planned. It's Monday. The next job on the list, after reading, is to write a blog entry. I smile. I wrote the entry last week and scheduled it. I relax and treat myself to something non-writerly like Facebook, or flicking though Youtube. I convince myself I'm researching comedy writing as I guffaw and screech at Rowan Atkinson and the Two Ronnies.

It's getting close to midday (and my two hour lunch), a time I eat something wholesome to prepare for the afternoon's writing. In the fridge I see potatoes, carrots and leftover pizza. I could bake a spud, grate a carrot and top it with cheese. Alternatively, there's some cous cous in the cupboard I could mix with herbs and a stock cube. I microwave the pizza.

I read some more of the book and remind myself this is still research. So, I'm actually working and not slobbing about the flat, despite the smell rising from the pyjamas I've been wearing for the past 52 hours.

2pm strolls past and I start to think about my next novel, the articles I plan to write and the treatise on politics I've been outlining for the past five years, one that will lift the scales from British eyes and revolutionise our government.

3pm crashes into me. I wake from my nap when my eldest son noisily returns from college. There's still 3 hours of writing time left so I drag myself to the computer and notice there are new entries on Facebook which I need to respond to.

It's 4.30pm. I open a new document and stare at it, before noticing more messages on Facebook. Someone has posted a vital piece of information on the ACW page.

6pm passes and I congratulate myself on my research and the information I've gathered on writing well. Settling in for another night, I wonder why I haven't enough money to pay the bills.

..........................................................................................................


See you on Wednesday, when I'll announce the schedule for July's blog tour.





6 comments:

Chloe said...

I saw your name on the results list! Congratulations :)

Helen said...

Nice one. I aspire to being as efficient and productive as this one day. :-)

Julie Luek said...

Very productive-- I have some days that look this orderly and quite a few that don't!

Al Diaz said...

Well, I've had this type of days too. More often than not. And hey, I have not been able to identify your FB account yet. Did you know that there are about six Martin Willoughby?

Valentina Hepburn said...

Martyn, you're life is a whirl of activity. I loved this. Congratulations.

Valentina Hepburn said...

Sorry Martin. You're not Martyn. He's someone else!