Monday, March 04, 2013

Strong and Weak

Last Monday I posted an outline business plan for writers, this week, it's strengths and weaknesses.

Everybody has strengths and weaknesses, EVERYBODY...except for those who are so wonderful the universe revolves around their ego.

As part of my business plan for writing, I had to list mine, which I thought I'd share with you

Strengths
  1. Organised
  2. Planning
  3. Desire to make it work
  4. Not scared of public performance
  5. Tech knowledge
  6. Patience
  7. Listener
  8. Willing to take a chance
  9. Open minded (my brains fall out from time to time)
  10. Humour
  11. Know when to give up
  12. Know when to keep going

Impressive? Compare that to my weaknesses

  1. Control freak
  2. Impatient
  3. Fear of the unknown
  4. Trouble starting something new
  5. Depression
  6. Impatient
  7. Don't think ahead
  8. Fear of losing what I have
  9. Don't know when to stop
  10. Humour

See any problems there? How about the ones I listed in both columns, or are opposites? How can I be both patient and impatient?

I'm sure you can empathise with the opposites and similarities between the columns as you will also have attributes which can be harnessed in the right situation, but let you down in others, such as when you're tired. While I can be very patient with clients who need PC software explained, at home I can lose my temper with a DVD player that plays up. I am therefore both patient and impatient.

Why is it important to know this? Unless we understand our strengths, we can't make the most of the talents we do have. Knowing our weaknesses will help us plan around them.

Make your list, and, if you dare, ask friends and family to add to it.

See you on Wednesday.




No comments: