Friday, March 08, 2013

Friday Fun

This week I re-learnt an important lesson: If you're walking in the rain, you'll get soaked if you don't take an umbrella with you.

First up, the good news from the past seven days. A Welsh charity has achieved its goal of raising money to save part of the rainforest. Similar campaigns are underway in Ireland and Denmark. Recycling is something we're all doing to one degree or another, but in Taiwan they're building bus stops, and eventually buildings, out of plastic bottles. Still on an environmental theme, how about bringing pure water to semi-arid areas. By using cardboard, you can take salt out of the air, use it in a greenhouse and grow normal plants. Read the article for more detail and you won't regret it. As if that's not enough good news regarding the environment, how about turning power station emissions into fuel?

Just to show that not everyone involved in sports is a total jackass, football manager Chris Coleman came to the aid of an old lady, helping her to get home late at night.

Two stories that fall between good and odd now. First up, the story of a window cleaner who got stuck up a ladder, and news that sex is a good cure for headaches.

Batman is alive and well and living in Bradford, bringing a criminal into a police station. He later revealed his identity. If you're the kind that's concerned about robots taking over, it's time to get out the worry balls. A walking robot can now throw breeze blocks. And finally, France has crowned its pig squealing champions.

Just before I go to the pictures, here are a series of photos of some stunning murals.


PICTURE TIME






















































And on that note, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Monday. Have a great weekend.





11 comments:

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Hey Martin - Lots of great love and laughter material as usual. I like the woman weighing herself...nuff said. You have a great weekend too.

Rena said...

Oh, that phantom kittie is too cute.

And of course, Bugs Bunny is a classic for a reason.

Martin Willoughby said...

Victoria: I thought that one might raise a smile or two.

Rena: Bugs Bunny is an all time classic.

A(me) said...

I wonder what it says about my mental health that the OCD one actually gives me the shivers a little bit?!

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Love all the pics and that article about BigDog is pretty amazing. I hope the military can put it to use and maybe save some lives along the way. - Great post. Thank you for sharing. - Happy Weekend! :D

Lisa Shafer said...

Thanks for the laughs!

Martin Willoughby said...

A(me): What does it say about me that I recognised it?

Mimi: It'll be interesting to see what it gets used for.

Lisa: You are, as always, welcome.

Dana said...

How did I miss these on Friday?

That kitten melts my heart, and the last one really hit me there. Powerful stuff. My favorite is the book/reality show one. There are a lot of books being killed over in this country, that's for sure. :(

Wonderful as usual, Martin. Happy Sunday!

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: I really like that last one, it's a keeper.

Milo James Fowler said...

Holy cow, Batman! He's really let himself go... I like the "don't panic -- organize" one; might have to post it at work.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

See, sex really is good for your health!!