Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Fun

Another Friday, another day closer to the weekend.

First up, good news from the week just gone.

Football has been throwing up some good news stories recently and here are two more. An Ipswich Town player, Tyrone Mings, heard about a fan who couldn't go to a match because he was broke. He offered the fan two of his tickets for free. In another incident, Edgar Davids, the player/manager of Barnet, rescued fans whose coach had broken down on the motorway, and then bought them all a hot drink.

In other 'people' news, an Australian man saved a young girl's life after he resuscitated her at a checkout, while Malala went back to school after recovering from a gunshot wound inflicted by the Taliban.

Meanwhile, Abu Dhabi has just built the world's largest solar power station, which should help reduce global warming a tad.

Onto the odd news now, and I bring you a newsflash: British charity Red Nose Day has raised £75m and is hiring assassins to take out all the politicians and warlords responsible for child poverty. Not really, but it does make you think. Talking of Red Nose Day, one nose went into space. Now I've mentioned politicians, this is what passes for debate in some chambers. It's been called a fight. Hah! And finally on the subject of politics, Obama's car broke down in Israel when someone put the wrong fuel in it.

Taking the stairs at work can help improve your fitness. One man has gone a step further and cycled up the stairs of a skyscraper.

It won't be long, apparently, before you can have a Jedi wedding in the UK. While we're on the subject of Star Wars, did you know there is plenty of evidence that the destruction of the Death Star was an inside job, perpetrated by Darth Vader?

Lastly in this section, with the world's food supplies running low, what about eating locusts? And for all you ladies out there, you can get them covered in chocolate.

Before I go to the pictures, how would you like to see a stop-motion film of a water sculpture being made. I thought you would.

And now, for the pictures......













































Finally, if you get irritated by the misuse of apostrophes, then you may want to join the Apostrophe Protection Society.

Stay cool and have a good weekend.




12 comments:

Chloe said...

I love the reverse graffitti. What a great idea!

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: Just shows what creative people can do.

cfd said...

I like Friday. It is a good day. Friday is when Martin uploads his freaky posts and I can have a laugh. Thanks for the Friday Fun, Martin. Keep 'em coming.

Rena said...

My favorite is definitely the reverse graffiti. That is just awesome.

Al Diaz said...

I don't know about eating locusts but in Mexico, we eat grasshopers, Maguey worms and ants, with chili, lemon and sauce.

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Chocolate covered locusts? I don't think so!

I kinda liked the quote by Voltaire. And, of course, the comment about the Apostrophe Protection Society. Who knew?

Martin Willoughby said...

cfd: Why thank you. Have you started my fan club?

Rena: It is fabulous.

Al: How do they taste?

Elizabeth: Go on, you know you want to try.

Fran said...

The locusts story reminded me that I watched this in the week. Did you see it? http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01599yk/Can_Eating_Insects_Save_the_World/

Fran said...

... And the great thing about being an English teacher is that you ARE paid to read books! (And a few other things, but, hey ...)

Martin Willoughby said...

Fran: I didn't see the program and I'm not sure I could stomach it.

Milo James Fowler said...

Awesome mosaic -- but I sure hope he didn't use styrofoam cups...

Caitlin said...

Ha! My husband and I had a good laugh over "Leprekhhhaaaaaaan!"