Monday, March 11, 2013

600

Today I reach 600 posts, some of which have been interesting to read.

My very first post was in November 2008 and since then I've accomplished a lot and suffered a lot. Other writers have come and gone, while others have come, got published and done very well.

While I'd always hoped to be published, I still find it hard to believe that I've self-published three books, had over half a dozen short stories published and now have a regular column about epublishing. Admittedly I've only earnt £38 in the process, but that's a lot more than I realistically thought I'd earn.

When I look back at that first post there a couple of things that make me smile, such as the following phrase under what I like doing: 'eating curry with naan bread and my fingers'. I don't actually eat my fingers, but it's symptomatic of my writing at that point that I missed it. The number of semi-colons I used is also impressive and must be in the running for some kind of record, and my use of commas was abysmal.

I also wrote the following:
I hope that I've broken with some of my nurturing and adapted some of my nature to the life I live now and the life I want to live.
I have broken some old habits and replaced them with new ones, proving that you can teach an old dog new tricks.  I've returned to the stage, taken up abstract art and got a place of my own.

What lies ahead I have no idea, but for the first time in my life, I have options I couldn't dream of a few years ago. I'm re-editing my first two novels for republication in the summer, while working on a third. I intend to edit my play and enter it into a competition and also see if the drama group would want to perform it at some point in the near future.

I'll continue to write the occasional short story when the mood takes me and look to expand my writing horizons.

I doubt I'll be a writing millionaire anytime soon, but there's growth and positive change. I hope you'll stay with me on the journey.






18 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I had the interesting experience of trying to explain my royalty statements to my accountant this year. She'd never heard of self-publishing before (living under an accountancy rock, apparently), and she had no clue what the forms I'd submitted to her were for. :D

Congrats on 600 posts and enjoying your writing.

Julie Luek said...

Congratulations on 600 posts and growing as a writer. Isn't that always the goal? Here's to 600 more posts.

Alexia said...

Well done. I hope I get to read the next 600 - I don't comment often but I do enjoy your posts!

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: An accountant without a clue? Turn him into a character for your next book.

Julie: If we don't grow, we die.

Alexia: I hope to write another 600 too, even if they're just Friday Funnies.

Chloe said...

Congratulations not only on the 600 posts but on all the many things you've achieved while writing them - especially the self-published books. So many people say they want to publish a book, so few actually get on and do it!

Valentina Hepburn said...

Congratulations, Martin. I'm gobsmacked. 600! Whew. And you've achieved so much since then which is great. Here's to 600 more!

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hi, Martin, I came to your blog from Valentina Hepburn's. It looks like an interesting blog. I'm following you now.

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: A friend of mine always introduces me as a published author.

Valentina: Thank you.

Elizabeth: Don't follow too closely I get paranoid. :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Hello again, Martin. Thanks for stopping by my blog and following me.

Jeff Hargett said...

That's good. Finger-food is highly overrated anyway. Congrats on the post count milestone. Just think how much more difficult reaching that would have been without fingers!

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

Sage words of wisdom. I remember when I sold my first short story, how excited I was at the check for 25 dollars. It may not be much, but like you, it was $25 more than I expected to ever get. And congrats on post 600!

Martin Willoughby said...

Elizabeth: Your blogs look as interesting as mine are. :)

Jeff: If I had no fingers, I'd have used my nose and toes.

Gabriel: Every penny I earn is cherished as a bonus.

Magical Mystical MiMi said...

Congratulations on your 600 posts and all of your writings Martin. You should absolutely count yourself success and talented. I do! :D

Martin Willoughby said...

Mimi: You're too kind.

Dana said...

You've achieved a lot, Martin. Congratulations! I'll definitely stay with you on your journey. ☺

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: It's a pleasure to have you along.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! What matters is growing richer for the journey. (And I mean beyond money.)
That first saying is awesome!!

Caitlin said...

Congratulations on your 600th post! It's amazing to see what can unfold for one person over only a few years.