Two blog buddies, E Arroyo (who will be guesting over here on the 27th February) and Al Diaz, have tagged me as part of the Leibster Blog award. I'm not a great one for awards, but I had to follow this one up as I get to talk about my favourite subject: ME.
So here are 11 random facts about the one and only Martin Willoughby, followed by 22 questions set by the nominators.
I, Martin Willoughby....
- ...grew 6 inches in a year when I was 17 to my now massive height of 5'6" (Technically I'm five foot five and half inches but I couldn't type that)
- ...have over 1000 books
- ...can speak basic German
- ...eat because I have to, not because I like food
- ...can program computers
- ...have every Star Trek episode and film on DVD (except the animated series)
- ...hate shaving and hate having a beard
- ...turn 50 this year (can't wait)
- ...volunteer to tell stories to mentally disabled children every Friday. I also write those stories.
- ...once sold financial services for two months. I was asked to leave because I took 'no' for an answer.
- ...have performed stand-up comedy in the past and am considering doing so again
- What made you want to be a writer? No idea, it's something that's been sitting at the back of my mind since I was a child, but never had the chance or encouragement to follow up on.
- Where do you find the inspiration for your writing? Anywhere I can see an unanswered question.
- What are your goals for 2013? Reformat and republish two books, compile a collection of published short stories, publish a third novel and several pamphlets.
- What’s your favourite quote? 'If at first you don't succeed, try again. Just try a different way.'
- Where in the world would you most like to visit? I've travelled a lot in the past and have no desire to travel far anymore.
- What five things would you take to a desert island? Someone intelligent to chat with, a chainsaw, a huge tank of diesel, a rifle and a huge box of ammunition.
- What is your biggest strength and your biggest weakness? Strength: Organisation. Weakness: Panicking when I see everything that needs to be done.
- If you could meet one author, who would you choose? Terry Pratchett
- What’s your favourite film? WALL-E
- If you went into The Hunger Games, what would be your most useful skill? Making people laugh so much they collapse to the floor, making it easy for me to take them out.
- Which fictional male would you most like to marry? Errr, not sure about this, so I'll pick a female if that's okay. Lady Vimes from Discworld.
- What genre do you write? Comedy, mainly SF/F, but I also write plays and short stories in any genre that takes my fancy.
- What are you working on right now? Three books, two plays and a partridge in a pear tree.
- Panster or plotter? Yes.
- What do you do when you get writer's block? Make a cup of tea, read a book, do the washing up, go for a walk to get some milk, anything that takes me away from the screen. The block's gone by the time I return.
- The best lesson you learned about writing? You can get better if you practice.
- Which POV do you prefer to write? Mine
- How do you respond to critiques? I LOVE it when people comment on my work. It helps me correct mistakes and re-examine my story.
- Do you argue with your characters? All the time. I always win though. If they argue too much I threaten to kill them off in the next scene.
- Do you have a bad timing muse (i.e. the one who gives you the best ideas when you can't do nothing about them)? Nope, Clint Eastwood would never do that to me.
- The book you cherish the most? My first novel, A Stitch In Time. (Yes I know it's egotistical, but I was so proud of the achievement)
- Do you listen to music when you write? If so, what kind? I have a collection of MP3s which I play. There's no particular genre, just 500 songs (and growing) of music I like, ranging from Classical at one end of the scale and The Birdie Dance at the other end.
Technically I'm supposed to nominate 11 people but I'm a rule-breaker, so you can nominate yourself and advertise your blog/website/book in the comments section below. See you on Friday for some more fun.