Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday Fun

Ah, another working week over. Time to let down you hair and laugh like a maniac, but first, some good news stories.

Firstly, a video story about a man who can now talk for the first time in 27 years due to some modern technology.

Get Adobe Flash player

Also from the UK, Brecon Beacons has been awarded Dark Sky status as you can see the stars at night without any interference from artificial lighting.

If that doesn't bring a glow to you heart, about the anonymous donation of gold bars to the Japanese fishing port of Ishinomaki, hit by the Tsunami in 2011.

Finally, just to prove that modern medicine doesn't know it all, a sugar remedy is being tested in hospitals to treat wounds.

Odd stories were a little thin on the ground last week, so I've only come across two. The first one is a now annual send up of the Oscars called the Toscars. They're awarded to fan-made parodies of films.

Finally, a slow burner. A 12 hour program on Norwegian television showing wood burning. It comes with commentary from experts on wood, as piles of the stuff burn.

And now, a bumper selection of pictures.



On that note, I bid you adieu and I'll see you next week. Have a great weekend.



8 comments:

Julie Luek said...

Wow inspirational video. Thanks for sharing.

Martin Willoughby said...

Julie: Isn't it. I like these stories that remind everyone of the good side of technology.

Al Diaz said...

Yes, i actually breathed with my tongue out. Hahaha. Silly me. Now I am closing my twitter and facebook account and just go out shouting what I'm doing each 6 hours or so.

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

That last image with the teddy bear was particularly moving for me. I suffer from Night Terrors and only my Teddy could calm me down and make me feel safe again. I still have that Teddy, though now my son sleeps with him.

Lisa Shafer said...

I really love the teddy bear one.
And the BMI one reminds me of a quote from the late, great American humorist, Erma Bombeck, who once said, "According to medical charts, I have the girth of a 90-foot redwood."

Yolanda Renee said...

Thank you! I laughed -- still am!

Happy Friday!

S Gallagher said...

Great pics/quotes again, especially the teddy bear. Ah, I miss my stuffed animals.

Martin Willoughby said...

Al: I'm not sure I'd go around shouting, but I did have a go at the tongue/breathing one.

Gabriel: Give that teddy a huge hug.

Lisa: That's good quote.

Yolanda: Keep on smiling.

SG: You could always get another one...or seven.