Monday, January 07, 2013

New Year's Neverlutions

This year, I will NOT...
  1. ...expect miracles
  2. ...put my writing down. I will carefully evaluate my work and accept that not everyone will like it.
  3. ...avoid writing
  4. ...stop buying books
  5. ...give in to the hysteria surrounding the supposed death of books and bookshops
  6. ...give up when the going gets tough
  7. ...expect myself to become a world-famous author by the end of the year...though if you're offering me the chance that's another matter
  8. ...feel the world on my shoulders. I will tackle one problem at a time
  9. ...avoid my friends or family because I 'just need to finish this last paragraph'
  10. ...post random tweets just because I haven't tweeted that day
  11. ...undersell my work
  12. ...promote myself so much that people get sick of the sound of my name
  13. ...make rash decisions...unless my life depends on it
  14. ...eat out of boredom
  15. ...stop being kind to people or help them
  16. ...avoid reminding my children how they were created when they irritate me
  17. ...stop learning how to write better or new techniques for marketing
What would you add to this list or NOT do yourself?

.............................................................


This year the blog frequency will change.

Mondays:  I'll write about writing, publishing and anything else relevant to being an author.

Wednesdays: New for this year, Wednesdays will be open for guests or anything I feel like sharing, such as scenes from a story I'd like feedback on, or Youtube videos that made me smile.

Fridays: Will remain a day for fun/silly/thought-provoking pictures, and will also include good news stories along with the crazy things that people do.


If you want to submit a blog for any Wednesday, let me know your idea through the comments section (It can be part of a book promotion tour) or email me: martin (at) starfishpc (dot) co (dot) uk. I already have one booked for February, so get your skates on.

With that, I bid you Adieu and I'll see you on Friday...or Wednesday if I find something interesting.



8 comments:

Chloe said...

I'm glad your Friday posts aren't changing - I look forward to them every week. Thank-you! Let me know how you get on with number 14, I could do with some tips ;)

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: The Friday posts are far too much fun for me to abandon. As for number 14, I'm doing okay so far as my shrinking waistline attests.

Al Diaz said...

I will not compare myself to other writers. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Al: Good one.

Dana said...

Wonderful list! Number 9 is a big one for me. I can't even tell you how many times I've said that to my kids—and how guilty I felt afterward. That's one I'll work on, along with number 14. Boy, do I need to work on that! ;)

Martin Willoughby said...

It gets easier as they get older. At one point I told them 'if there's blood, stop me no matter what. If there isn't, give a minute to finish the sentence.'

Bish Denham said...

I like your list. #3 resonates with me at the moment.

Martin Willoughby said...

Bish: All writers do it at some point.