Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday Fun

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Welcome to the first full Friday Fun of 2013. To start with here are some good news stories from around the world.

First up, the Afghan toy that's inspired a land-mine clearing device powered by the wind. It will mark which paths it's cleared too. Brazil is usually associated with a lot of social problems, but the locals are starting to use 'social currencies' in order to keep business local and provide everyone with a decent standard of living.  Finally, there may be a new treatment for deafness on the horizon: growing ear hairs. Regenerating them could cure deafness for a large number of people, though time will tell.

Now for the funny and strange stories to light up your dull lives. A giant rubber duck takes a swim in Sydney harbour, while at Melbourne Airport, a Kangaroo takes a jaunt round the car park. In the UK, a toy train company's bid to run one of the train lines has been politely turned down (they couldn't be worse than the current bunch), while several police officers have done a Gangnam Style video to raise money for charity. Will that song EVER go away?

Lastly in this section, how would silent monks sing the Hallelujah Chorus? These imaginative kids show us how.



Now for the pictures that I have painstakingly culled from various sources, and I do mean pain. My stomach hurt after laughing at some of these.






















































And finally, one for all the Trekkies out there.



On that note, I bid you adieu, a good weekend and I shall see you on Monday. (Yes it will be me outside your kitchen window in the clown suit on Sunday night)



15 comments:

Victoria Lindstrom said...

So much to like...as usual, Martin! My favorites are the couch cushion fort (I could use one!) and the photos of famous failures. Have a great weekend!

E. Arroyo said...

Love this. lol. That jar thing is a good idea, but I wouldn't wait until the new year. =)

Thanks a bunch.

Al Diaz said...

I loved the video! Great pics. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Victoria: The Star Trek one had me in fits.

EA: It's a good idea for any time of the years.

Al: That vid is terrific.

Nick Wilford said...

That is a bumper crop of pics. I like the last one best! And the frog encapsulates my mood a lot of the time.

S Gallagher said...

The Shakespeare Hokey Pokey is pure awesome.

Happy weekend!

Mark Koopmans said...

LOVE the phones facedown idea... plan to introduce it to my family :)

Cheers, Martin... I don't know how you do it (find the time to find the pics) but your posts are bleedin' hilarious :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: The frog sums up most of my days.

SG: It's brilliant.

Mark: I'm going to suggest it (quite forcefully) at any meeting I go to.

Rena said...

I pretty much died when I read the one about the old lady and the gun. I had to forward it to my mother. Thanks for making me laugh until I cried.

Martin Willoughby said...

Rena: It gave me stomach cramps. It's probably fake, but it's a great story.

Jeff Hargett said...

Wonderful video and an an excellent assortment of funnies. As always.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

I love the crazy aunt one, because that is what I am. A crazy aunt, many times over. And I am even "great" at it. Yay! Thanks for some good laughs.

Martin Willoughby said...

Jeff: Why thankyou.

Cindy: I'd like to be the crazy uncle but my niece and nephew live 4500 miles away. I settle for being crazy dad.

Milo James Fowler said...

Red shirts! (I still need to read that book.) The silent chorus rocked it, and I like the "stack your phone" idea -- might need to implement that one.

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: The phone idea seems to be very popular. Can't imagine why.