Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Captain Quasar And The Vivid Imagination Of Milo Fowler

Today's guest is none other than Milo James Fowler, Speculative Fictioneer, who writes a nice line in 'tongue-in-cheek' characters and stories. This post is about his most famous creation, Captain Quasar.

...................................................................................................

For me, writing fiction is all about the characters. And when I create a protagonist I enjoy, I can't help but write more stories for him.

When I came up with Captain Bartholomew Quasar back in the spring of 2010, I was going for a mash-up between William Shatner's James T. Kirk and Dudley Do-Right from the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show (but in Quasar's case, things seldom ever go right). He's one of those classic pulp heroes with a heart of gold whose narcissistic tendencies often land him in hot water. 
 
In my first Quasar tale, "The 'If Only' Elixir of Opsanus Tau Prime," he ended up dying (SPOILER!—oops, too late), but by the time the kind folks at Every Day Fiction published it, I'd gotten to like the character so much I knew I'd be bringing him back as soon as possible. The captain hasn't changed a whole lot in the handful of other tales I've written, but his relationship with Hank and the other characters is deepening with every story, as Quasar realizes he needs them in order to continue being as awesome as (he thinks) he is.

I don't write hard science fiction with a whole lot of actual science in it. I focus on the characters, and everything else I just make up—or I rely on osmosis to filter enough jargon into my brain from all the SF I read. I do my best to aim for universal themes and relatable characters, and I try to shoot for a high entertainment value that transcends any barriers to enjoying these space opera tales.


[This week, "Captain Bartholomew Quasar and the Insurmountable Barrier of Space Junk" is free on Amazon for all Kindle readers, so give it a download and let me know what you think.]

...........................................................................................................

You can follow Milo on Facebook, Twitter, his website and Amazon.

With that, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Friday. 

4 comments:

Erin Cole said...

There must be a Quasar Anthology in the works, some day?
Congrats on finding a character you love to write about and that others love to read, Milo. That is no easy feat.

S Gallagher said...

Second vote for Quasar antho! :)

I'd say you've successfully created a character we can all love, or poke fun at, hehe.

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Great stuff, as usual Martin. However, I'm still musing over your comment about cleaning your eyes during a traffic jam! Have a good weekend.

Al Diaz said...

Hello again, my friend. Just wanted you to know I'm nominating you for the Liebster Award in my next post. Congratulations!