Monday, December 10, 2012

Reflections on 2012: Personal

Another year draws to a close and it's that time of year when people look back and reflect...especially those who are too lazy to think of anything else to write. People like me.

I set myself a goal of earning some real money from writing this year and have earned a total of £38. I won't be able to retire just yet, but it's a start. The launch of my second novel, Apollo the Thirteenth, went without too many problems and is now out there in the aether for anyone who wants to buy it. (See the ads on the left if you're interested)

I also have another comedy novel in the planning/drafting stage, a play I want to work on, a fantasy comedy novel in the planning/draft stages and have had a couple of short stories published. From the point of view of being a writer it's been fairly busy, but it hasn't satisfied me as I know I could've done more.

In my personal life, my kids are doing well. One has swapped studying catering for studying IT, one graduated from college and is now working part time until he finds a good job while my youngest turned 13. As I watch them grow up, I feel a sense of pride that they're turning out as well as they are. Maybe they did listen when I told them 'You can either learn from my mistakes or repeat them'.

This month I realised how much of a strain the writers group has become as I took on more and more responsibility. It wasn't intended to be that way, it just happened. Now I'm stepping back, others will have to take on more and share the load.

I don't know if I mentioned this before,but in 2009 I took an overdose and spent a day in hospital on a drip. I've spent a lot of time recovering from that since and, with the help of some mild-anti-depressants, have turned the corner this year. Despite several setbacks involving local government and some very noisy neighbours, I'm still here in a good(ish) mood and looking forward to next year...assuming the interpretation of the Mayan calendar is wrong and the world doesn't end on the 21st December.

It won't, as you can easily discover on the web.

Misinterpretation of the Mesoamerican Long Count calendar is the basis for a popular belief that a cataclysm will take place on December 21, 2012. December 21, 2012 is simply the day that the calendar will go to the next b'ak'tun, at Long Count 13.0.0.0.0. The date on which the calendar will go to the next piktun (a complete series of 20 b'ak'tuns), at Long Count 1.0.0.0.0.0, will be on October 13, 4772. (Wikipedia)
So we're safe for now, at least until a meteor crashes into the Earth and all life on Earth, except for the ants and cockroaches, is wiped out.

Next year I intend to do a lot more writing and publishing, enjoy my amateur (over)acting and watch my children get another year older.  I also turn 50 next year.

On that note I bid you adieu and I shall bore you some more on Wednesday.





10 comments:

E. Arroyo said...

That's a lot. I'm happy about your kids. I always worry mine will come out like...me. =) I hope you feel better.

Lisa Shafer said...

38£? I think that's about $70, which is about how much I made on books in the last 6 months. Yeah, I'm not planning on buying my own private island just yet, although it sounds like your neighbors might be a bit like mine, so you'll understand if I tell you I've thought about it.
Glad to know your health's more stable now. :)

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

Just wanted to let you know I got your books in the mail yesterday and i have been thoroughly enjoying them. On more than one occasion my wife has had to come into the room to ask me what I was laughing about.
Thanks!

Al Diaz said...

Ah don't worry about the Mayan Calendar. Most people who talk about Mayan calendar, show the Aztec Calendar instead so that talks about credibility. I bet you a Ferrari Diablo on the world not ending anytime this year. Keep the good mood. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

EA: My kids will turn out like me...and that's a thought they hate.

Lisa: It only takes one bad neighbour to ruin a place.

Gabriel: That is a good sign. Thankyou

Al: Won't we all be looking silly if an Asteroid hits the Earth. :)

Al Diaz said...

Well, yes, a bit, you'll be the only man driving a Ferrari Diablo over an asteroid crater. ;)

Jeff Chapman said...

Congrats on your successes this year and good luck in 2013.

Milo James Fowler said...

50? WOW. Looking forward to reading Apollo -- received my awesome dead tree copy today!

Jeff Hargett said...

50 next year? Dude, me too! Well, I gotta turn 49 first, but that still happens this year. May we last until the next piktun. ;-)

Martin Willoughby said...

Al: But there'll be no one around to see it.

Jeff C: Thankyou young man

Milo: I know, half a century.

Jeff H: I'm aiming for immortality. So far so good.