Monday, November 12, 2012

Timetable, Schedule, Whatever

How do you organise your writing time?  Being self-employed and working from home has its advantges for an author as I don't have to spend time commuting.  The downside is I never know what's going to happen from day to day.  BUT, I need a plan so this is how I organise my week.



This will be interrupted by family crises, people's computers blowing up and the ebb and flow of life, but it gives me something to discard when reality pokes its ugly nose in.  It's also helpful when I want to get back on track.

In case you're interested what I do for each of these items, here's what they mean to me:

Read: Feet up, cup of tea and read a book.
Blog: My own or visiting others
Write: Plan (insofar as I can be bothered), edit, create a story/novel
Town: Pay bills etc
Lunch: Eat, rest, relax, read, play games
GHH: Working at the Garden House Hospice Shop, annoying the staff, annoying the manager and being a pest to the customers
WG: Writers Group
Greenside: Reading at Greenside School
Writer Stuff: Promotion, marketing, checking on sales, website/facebook and anything else writer related, even writing occasionally.

How do you organise (or not) your writing life?



7 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I cram my writing time in between grading papers and bedtime. That's all I get. :)

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

Your schedule looks very similar to my own. My wife is always commenting on how I'm constantly refining my schedule, but I find having definite times for each creative activity helps me get into the right frame of mind.

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: A teacher's life doesn't make it easy to be a writer. You have my admiration for being able to manage it at all.

Gabriel: It's always handy to refer to when you've been disrupted...usually by a wife. :)

Dana said...

I write when I can, usually for only a few minutes at a time. Mornings before the kids get up and evening when they've gone to bed are also good writing times for me—usually. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: At least you write.

Michelle Dobbins said...

I try to do my writing as close to the beginning of my day as I can. Usually once I get to work.Since my husband is my boss (at work anyway), I get away with it. Then, I do my "real" work, pick up the kids and hope that I get in a few more minutes once I get them off to bed.

Martin Willoughby said...

Michelle: Ah, the joys of combining kids and writing. I remember it well.