Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Take A Chance


First up, a reminder that I'm running a competition to win one of three copies of my latest novel, Apollo The Thirteenth.  Full details are on Monday's blog.

How many times have you taken a chance on a new author? It was a question posed to me a few years ago and made me squirm as I rarely did.  The rationale was that if I, as a new author, wasn't willing to take a chance, why should anyone take a chance on me.

It was a good question then and a good one now.

But who is a new author?  Someone who's never been published before, or someone new to you?  Either or both.

Some of the books I've taken a chance on haven't been particularly impressive, while others have been so good, they've led me to buy the author's entire back catalogue.  Some of the authors that have left me unimpressed have been big names while little known authors have written some very good books.

And I've not just limited myself to recent authors either. Jane Austen, Robert Louis Stevenson and Daniel Defoe have also come within range of my reading glasses. Nor have I forgotten self-published authors of my electronic acquaintance such as Milo Fowler and Lisa Shafer.

In short, taking a chance on an author can lead to some great reads.  There will be disappointments along the way, but then you get that with a film, a CD or a TV show as well.  It's life.

With that, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Friday.  In the meantime, here's a Lego video of Abba's Take A Chance On Me.  (Not subtle, but it wasn't meant to be)


2 comments:

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

As a very slow reader (minor dyslexia, among other things), it takes a lot for me to commit to read a book from an unknown author. It's even harder for me to commit to read a book from a series...so many pages, so many months to get caught up to speed in the story.
As a result I have some very good friends who act as screeners for me. They read crazy fast and have similar tastes in literature as me. I still venture out on my own from time to time, and have been pleasantly surprised with my success rate. But the enormous stake of half-read books still looms up before me when I consider the number of books I began to read and lost my steam part way through because they either didn't hold my interest or the time required to finish the book was too great and other things distracted me.

Martin Willoughby said...

Gabriel: You may get other people to read, but you still try new authors on their say so. That works too. You're not ignoring them and that's the main point.