Monday, October 08, 2012

Monday Update

Another Monday, another week closer to the book launch.

I've just about finished the final edits for Apollo the Thirteenth and I've discovered some howlers.  'Them' instead of 'then' for one and needing to insert the occasional word so a sentence makes sense.  It's always a good idea to leave a novel to one side for a week or so before you do any editing.

In the meantime, I've purchased a printer so we can print on CDs and sell the ebooks in a physical format at the launch, then guided one author in the process of creating a POD on Createspace. 

By this time next week we hope to have the poster finished and, naturally, I'll display it here and on Twitter.

Over the weekend I ran an ebook freebie on Amazon to see how well the two books would sell without any advertising and after being advertised for free before. Over 150 copies were downloaded, including the first one to Italy, so it seems worthwhile to keep on doing it every three months, especially as it gives your name a boost on the Amazon listings.

I've also been thinking about the future of my writing career and given the idea of licensing a book some thought.  The idea being that instead of signing a normal contract with a publisher or agent, I license the book to them for a period of, say, 10 years.  Maybe it's a non-starter, but it's worth investigating.

Starfish are also looking to expand into other areas.  We have a couple of kid's books on the go and are considering hiring out our services to other authors.  But that's a couple of years into the future.

One other thing you may be interested in is a British based website called Authors Online.  They offer ebook and POD services to authors for free, but the normal support services as well for a fee. I haven't made much of an investigation of them just yet, but will do so after the book launch is done.

Another site I've been pointed to, and not yet investigated, is Kobo.  Feel free to have a look and let everyone here know what you find out.

One last thing, at the request of one of my legion of followers, I've added a share button so my wit and wisdom can be broadcast to the heathens beyond this blog...as opposed to the heathens that follow it.

On that note, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Wednesday.



8 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Well as one of those self confessed heathens (and proud of it) I am glad to hear the editing is going well. Editing your own stuff is a nightmare since you're so familiar with it you can read over an error and miss it every time because your brain knows what it should say.

Victoria Lindstrom said...

It sounds like your book is rolling right along, Martin. Good luck with the editing. (I use a local editor - I don't trust myself!) Heathen #2

Lisa Shafer said...

Those grammar gremlins do creep in and mess up manuscripts, don't they?

Jeff Chapman said...

Good luck with the editing. I hate it when I think something is done only to find a glaring mistake. Makes you paranoid.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: It's why I leave a few days between edits. It clears the mind.

Victoria: One of our group uses her family to do the editing.

Lisa: I HATE those gremlins. I'm sure they sneak into my computer at night and rewrite parts of my book.

Jeff: Paranoid is good...up to a point.

Dana said...

Hope the editing continues to go well. I love that part of the process. :)

Emily R. King said...

You're on your way, Martin! I find it useful to explore one marketing site at a time. There are so many, I become overwhelmed if I try to join or use more than one or two new sites at once. Thanks for directing me to Kobo!

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: Editing is an OCD sufferers thrill of the week. Maybe not.

Emily: I realised that trying to do everything will kill me so I test one market at a time.