Monday, September 10, 2012

Some Stats

I love statistics.  Yes, I know that makes me a little weird, but no more than any other habit I have.

I've had a look at my blog stats and there are some strange things in there, such as the search terms people use when they come across the blog.

The most common one is, mwilloughby.blogspot.com.  Why anyone is actually searching for that term I don't know, but there it is.  The second most popular is adolab.  Huh?  Well, it makes sense in way, as a quick Google search will show.  ADOLAB is an acronym for Attention Deficit...Ooh Look A Butterfly.  If you search for the term, my blog on the subject comes up second on the list, after the Facebook page which has 102 likes and an interesting picture if you scroll down a bit.  Vegetarians may not like the picture.

The next three search terms, in order, are blogger, from sand to glass and martin willoughby.  Next comes medieval machines.  As I'm not on the first three pages of the Google search on that term it's one I can't work out.

The section 'referring sites' is topped by Google and Facebook.  YAWN!  There is, however a little oddity in there.  The German site www.blog-zug.com.  Specifically its page blog-zug.com/?mwilloughby.blogspot.com.  I still haven't figured that one out.

Which was the most viewed post?  Strawberry Flame.  Why, I have no idea.  But if you follow the link it will become even more popular.  The post is a reminder to myself about why I write and I still agree with the sentiments now.

Finally, where do my readers come from?  Here's the list

United Kingdom 5496
United States 4393
Russia 1597
China 552
Netherlands 467
Germany 289
Canada 184
France 165
Australia 130
India 125

That means I'm almost a worldwide phenomenon.

Well, now I've sent you all to sleep, I bid you adieu and I'll see you on Wednesday.



8 comments:

Chloe said...

I LOVE stats! Not even being sarcastic here. I found that post interesting and I love looking at my own blogger stats.

Unintentionally I named a post with a phrase that is exactly the words somebody might type into google ("shortest story ever written" or something like that) and so that post has double the hits any other has!

Key words are my favourite part. I'd love to know how somebody got to my blog by searching for "and or think leads to student" and "angry person".

Dana said...

I often check my blog stats--lots of fun info there. I keep meaning to write a post about my findings. Someday... :)

Chris Fries said...

Nothing weird at all about loving stats, as far as I'm concerned. ;^)

And very interesting blog visitor stats. My number one visited page is one where one of my writing submissions was selected as a winner in a small contest -- "I'm a winner" was the title. I'm pretty sure most people pop in after searching "winner" and then leave disappointed, lol!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Martin, I think I'll refer to you as WWP - worldwide phenomenon! My husband always tells me to check my stats, but I rarely do. You've inspired me to take a look. Thanks!

Rena said...

You know, I just took a peek at my stats, and Russia also provides my third largest readership.

Strange, nyet?

And stats are fun.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think most find my blog by name. I know my most popular post is the page for the IWSG at over seven thousand page views.

Caitlin said...

I've found some strange search terms that lead to my blog as well! It's pretty fun checking out where readers are coming from.

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: The key words can be REALLY odd.

Dana: A Friday post maybe?

Chris: At least that one was clear why it was popular, but Strawberry Flame?

Victoria: A WWP? Whoooohoooo!

Rena: Are we being tracked by the Oligarchs?

Alex: 7000? You da man!

Caitlin: I've heard of some really strange terms, I only wish I could remember them.