Monday, September 24, 2012

Social Media: It's Not About You

There's nothing so irritating as people who continually blow their own trumpet, be it at a party or online.  So why do so many authors do it?

There are blogs and tweeters I follow because of their advice, and there are those I follow because they are entertaining.  There are also some I follow because I like the person.  I'm sure you have a similar outlook.  What I don't follow, and on Twitter have sometimes blocked, is the constant self-promotion.

Social Media is about being social, about sharing.  Sometimes it's going to be about your latest book or how you're progressing, but that's what friends do, you tell people what's happening in your life.  But, if it's all you do, people will treat you like a salesperson, or, even worse, like a politician.

So today's piece of advice is simple.  Social media is not about you, it's about you and your followers.  Ignore that at your peril.



10 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

I have a limit on twitter. If someone sends me more than 4 tweets a day advertising the same thing, they get dropped. Period.

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Me too. They are SO irritating.

Patti said...

I've stopped following a lot of authors because of this very thing.

Christine Muir said...

I came off Twitter for this reason. My timeline was clogged up with self promotion. Yes, tell me about once, even twice, but some were a few times in the same day.

Lauren said...

I have one lady I follow, mainly because she's a friend, but everywhere I turn I'm innundated by her book.

That and the retweets. I've thought about unfollowing her many times, but...she's a friend.

I'm just a hopeless pushover.

Lauren

Fran said...

I agree! I agree! (Read my book: Modesty and Self-Aggrandisement in the 21st Century, available on Amazon ...)

Alexia said...

Lol @ Fran!

I agree with you completely, Martin. Who wants to know that someone is eating pasta for breakfast, or just broke up with their boyfriend..?? Can't be bothered with Twitter most of the time, but i still get notifications of toatlly unknown randoms wanting to follow me. Begone!

Martin Willoughby said...

Patti: I have a few on my 'to be axed list'.

Christine: Agreed.

Lauren: I've turned the retweets off for a number of people.

Fran: LOL

Alexia: I get people following me who promise to get me 5000 followers in one week.

Milo James Fowler said...

I hate the self-promotion side of being a writer -- but if we don't do some of it, who will?

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: It's when social media is ALL about self-promotion it gets to be a bugbear.