Wednesday, September 05, 2012

How To Lose Followers On Twitter

I've been on Twitter for a couple of weeks now and I've discovered some things that irritate me and cause me to unfollow people and companies.  Ready?

1 - Automated tweets.  Come on people, if you can't be bothered to type 140 characters, get off Twitter.  Copying Facebook posts I can live with, but just automating everything?  UNFOLLOW

2 - Nothing but retweets.  If you have nothing to say for yourself, I'm not interested.  Surely you have an opinion on some of the things you're retweeting.  UNFOLLOW

3 - Tweets every five minutes.  It's bad enough having my email inbox overflowing with offers of sexual enhancement operations and cures for bladder disease, without having my Twitter feed clogged up because you want to tweet every five minutes (or more often).  If you have that much to say, post it on a blog or facebook.  Every hour or so, fine, but every five minutes?  Not even Stephen Fry's that interesting.  UNFOLLOW

4 - Adverts for your books.  Authors, agents and publishers will advertise their wares, it's one of the reasons they're on Twitter.  But if that's all you tweet, get a life.  UNFOLLOW

5 - 3 & 4 combined.  UNFOLLOW

6 - 1, 3 & 4 combined.  I'm sending an assassin round.  UNFOLLOW

I'm glad I've got that off my chest.

Good examples of Tweeters?  Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself)  Original tweets that don't bombard your feed.  Publisher's Weekly (@publisherswkly) News snippets.  They come in batches, but aren't overwhelming.

And on that note, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Friday.




9 comments:

Nearly Martha said...

Also (and this may just be me) tweets from high flying minister types that are probably written by an intern or PA. Just Bible verses or "wisdom"

Freya Morris said...

I'm exactly the same! and so I gather is everybody else.

Well summed up!

defcon said...

...Or be like me and don't pay attention to (twit)ter at all. :D

Nick Wilford said...

I've only just joined Twitter, and only did so to raise awareness of our current situation. Sounds like it's fun and games!

Dana said...

I agree—completely.

Martin Willoughby said...

Martha: Amen.

Freya: You mean I'm not alone?

Defcon: HERETIC!

Nick: It can be, if you have the correct approach.

Dana: Thankyou

Bish Denham said...

So far I've managed to avoid Twitter. From what I keep reading about it I'm glad. I suppose some day I might have to join up, but for now... not interesting.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

I sooooo agree with you! They are all my pet hates too!

Caitlin said...

Thanks for the tips! Honestly, I haven't been on my Twitter in ages. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I never really got the hang of it all that well. I never knew what to say! I definitely did unfollow some people for reasons that you listed, though.