Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Getting To Know Your Characters

One way to understand your characters is to meet them.  On Monday, at writer's group, the exercise was to write a scene in your current WIP where you met one of the characters.  I liked my piece, so here it is.

......................................................

The scene changed.  One minute I was sitting in my front room watching Galaxy Quest, the next I was on my backside in what looked like a hotel room.

Carpet tiles underneath my outstretched hands, white ceiling, hidden lights.  To my left a sliding door, to my right a three piece suite, a coffee table and a window.  Through the window I could see stars.

Oh No.  This had to be a dream.  Then I felt something prod me in the neck.  It wasn't sharp, but it was cold and metallic.  Thankfully, it didn't say there long.

"You are my creator."  Said a computerised voice.  I didn't have time to respond as a box on wheels scooted round and halted in front of my outstretched legs.

"Can we play fetch?"  It said.

"Are you Igor?"

"Yes.  And you are my creator.  Let's play fetch."

A door opened in his front and a ball fell out, landing between my legs.  Igor bounced up and down and shook his rear like a dog's tail.

"Won't we wake everyone?"

Igor thought for a moment, then headed to the door.  "We'll play in the corridor."

Too bemused to argue, I followed him outside.

I don't know what the people who walked past us in the corridor thought, but it seemed normal to them.  One marine complimented me on my throwing action.

An hour later I returned home, presumably by the same method I went.  On my TV was a post it note on which someone had written, in beautiful slanted script, I hope you enjoyed your trip.  It was signed, Harold Kennedy.


...............................................

And with that I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Friday.




3 comments:

Emily R. King said...

I like it! What a great exercise. Thanks for sharing, Martin.

Dana said...

Very nice! I'm going to try this with my new MC.

Martin Willoughby said...

Emily: Glad you liked it. Feel free to borrow and use it.

Dana: It's a great idea, especially when you get stuck with how a character will react in a certain situation.