Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Fun

Oddbox is no more.  In its stead I have trawled the internet for the weird and wonderful.  Alright, I've scoured the BBC website.

There's been a bit of a kerfuffle in the UK over some bones, that are reported to be those of Richard III, being dug up under a car park.  However, there are many royal bones that have been lost or mislaid.  From India there is the tale of the overweight elephants, while in Europe, there are tours of the site where Holmes and Moriarty battled to the death. In the Philippines, one man turned his book collection into a library and ended up with a few thousand more books, and the Ignobel prizes have been announced. They're awarded to research that leaves you asking the question: Why did they do that? 

There are a number of videos on the BBC site, so here's a selection of the oddest, strangest and most interesting.  First up are the ladies who tweet on behalf of the Mars Rover, followed by the cinema ninjas who tell people to be quiet.  What's your school run like?  In Mexico they've introduced Donkeys

A failed robbery is always good for a laugh.  One attempt to rob an Apple store went wrong, while a robber in Abingdon, UK found he couldn't open the door and took his disguise off while escaping.  While trying to escape from the police, one crook decided to throw money out of the car window.  He failed to get away.

Onto the natural world, and something I've always wondered.  How do you grow the world's biggest onion?   More to the point, how many tears are shed when you cut it?  Lastly, a Siberian zoo has bred the world's first Liliger, a cross between a two Lions and a Tiger.

Before I get to the pictures, take a look at this time chart of the causes of teenage sex.  Elvis comes in for blame as does the Bump (remember that), skipping breakfast and hugging. 

And now, it's onto the pictures.

































And with that, I bid you adieu and hope you have a FABULOUS weekend.



12 comments:

R. Mac Wheeler said...

I had to re-post the Mastiff

(what can I say...I'm a dog loon)

Happy Friday

Lisa Shafer said...

I love that whole Richard III story. I've been following it. I'm not sure that I believe the bones are actually Richard's, although they apparently show scoliosis, which would be consistent with what we know about the man. But it's that whole concept of cool stuff being buried under the mundane (a car park, in this case). I know there's a car park in Edinburgh that's over an old kirkyard, a park over a mass grave for plague victims, and right next to the David Hume Tower of the U of Edinburgh, there's a "recycled" church, a lovely old building which is now a day-care center. The children's playground is the old, walled kirkyard -- so morbidly hilarious!
Stuff like that almost never happens where I live. The Native Americans never built anything in northern Utah; they just passed through. So, the only surprise bit of history we've found happened in the 1980s when some construction workers turned up a Mormon pioneer cemetery that no one recalled was there. The remains were re-interred in a living history museum that re-creates the early period of the pioneer history (1847-69, before the railroad, when travel was done by covered wagon).

Martin Willoughby said...

Mac: Glad you liked it.

Lisa: But in a thousand years time they'll be digging up tons of stuff.

Patti said...

All so funny, especially the one about walking into a room and forgetting why we went there. I do that all the time.

Martin Willoughby said...

Patti: C'mon, I bet you tried the lightswitch one too.

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Martin - I must say your blog is something I always look forward to, especially on Fridays! This week, Tesla the Cat is my favorite. Have an awesome weekend!

Mark Koopmans said...

Hey Martin,

You win the BEST POST OF FRIDAY award )if there was one... there isn't so I tweeted this instead:)

PS... I heard they found a royal boner in Las Vegas recently??

Martin Willoughby said...

Mark: I heard it was a bit limp.

Lauren said...

These always make me laugh. Thanks for researching and bringing it all together!

Lauren

Martin Willoughby said...

Lauren: It's my pleasure to serve.

Jeff Chapman said...

Love that Dorothy Parker quote. I can definitely relate.

Teresa Cypher said...

I loved this post, Martin! A nice smile early on a Friday. A week later--I bid you a wonderful weekend. :-)