Wednesday, September 26, 2012

And...That...GAAAAAHHHHHH!

'And' and 'That' are two overused words.  But what are your options?

To take 'that' first, simply remove it as often as possible.  If you can eliminate 'that' from a sentence and it still makes sense, leave it out.  Simples!

'And' is a whole different problem as it's usually needed.  There is a solution though: use different words.  Which ones?  Try these for a start:

Yet
While
Plus

There are more options at Random Thought's blog.  Alternatively, create your own and remove those 'ands' from as much of your book as possible.

Go on, you know you want to.



5 comments:

Gabriel C. Taylor said...

I feel the same way. I need to do better. I know my writing is so much the stronger when I take the time to filter through for those overused words. Thanks for the reminder.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Removing 'and' to make two shorter sentences helps as well. My critique partners made that suggestion many times. Now it's a habit.

Martin Willoughby said...

Gabriel: It takes time and effort, but it's worth it.

Alex: Good one.

Teresa Cypher said...

Good post. Succinct. I am guilty of too. I use Word when I write, (and) have found that the "find" feature is so useful. I search the document after specifying a single word. Sometimes, while editing, it's nice to focus on a particular aspect.

Martin Willoughby said...

Teresa: The search feature of any word processing package is vital for editing. You can use the find and replace to get rid of double spaces too.