Monday, August 13, 2012

Updates And A Request

It's Monday.  Accept it.

Well, I've done it now.  After months of deliberation, thought and general evasion, I've signed up for Twitter.  I've managed to track some of you down, but if I've missed you, put your twitter address in the comments section and I'll start coming round to your house and watch you sleep.  Or maybe I'll just follow you.  Your tweets I mean...or do I?



You may also notice the snazzy little animation on the left that just happens to show the books I've published.  There's also one on the Starfish website showing all the books we have available, to which another four or five (one author hasn't made her mind up yet) will be added in November.

Talking of which, by next Monday we'll know where we're going to be holding our November book launch.  We have three options, all of which will end up being cheaper than last time and as we (almost) know what to do regarding advertising we should have a better attendance.  Watch this space.

Have you tried Blogger's Google+ upgrade?  If so, what did you make of it?  I've been thinking about it for a while but I'm a bit of a stick in the mud when it comes to technology, mainly due to me spending so much time fixing the mess that usually results.

What good does it do for you and what do you get out of it?  I could,of course, read what Google say, but they're a little biased as to its benefits.  I want to know what you think.

Now comes the request.

I'm looking for a few more Beta readers.  A sense of humour, an eagle eye and a willingness to tell me the truth (my skin is fairly thick) are required and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  If you'd like to see a sample of my writing, I'd be more than happy to email you a few chapters.  I know I title it as SF Comedy, but their is precious little science in anything I write.  Imagine Red Dwarf with less science.

If that doesn't convince you to apply, then maybe this will.  PLEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE.

On Wednesday I'll have my final guest blogger of the summer, Mel Menzies and with that, I bid you Adieu.

19 comments:

Chloe said...

I don't have time to do a detailed proof-read but, if you just want somebody to read through and give an opinion, I'll do that.

Dana said...

Just followed you on Twitter. I'm @raineerose.

Happy Monday!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Martin - I love your twitter tag! The name of my first manuscript was: The Tale of Willaby Creek! Too funny - it is actually spelled that way, and is one of my favorite places in Washington State. I just followed you on Twitter - I'm @WritofWhimsy. Have a great week!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have a Google+ account, but I didn't link my blogger profile to it. I'd noticed when clicking on someone's icon that is linked to Google+, it's difficult to find their blog from that point.

Jay Noel said...

I don't really use my Google+ account very much. I guess I'd like to, but there's only so much time in the day.

Welcome to Twitter! I'm not a big tweeter myself, but I do get on there at least a couple times a week to see what's up.

Lisa Shafer said...

That is indeed a snazzy little slide show you've got going on. I am envious, as I have no clue how to get something like that to work on blogger.

Lisa Shafer said...

That is indeed a snazzy little slide show you've got going on. I am envious, as I have no clue how to get something like that to work on blogger.

Kelley Lynn said...

Google Plus confuses me. haha

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: I may well take you up on that offer.

Dana: I'm stalking you as we speak.

Victoria: It's one of several spellings of my name I've had over the years.

Alex: I'd noticed that too.

Jay: I've not used mine much either. I toyed with it for a while but it required me to sign in everyday and I'm FAR too lazy to do that.

Lisa: I got it as part of the Amazon Associates program. I get a small commission if people buy through the links. All you need is an Amazon account, sign up for the service and they do the rest for you.

Kelley: Me too.

Chris Fries said...

I am far from being a Luddite when it comes to technology, but I do not tweet on twitter. Unfortunately, I find my thoughts often take significantly more than 140 characters to express themselves -- Heck, they're usually 200 or more characters in before I even know what I'm thinking about... ;^)

But I wish you tremendous tweeting ahead!

And very nice book animation!

Martin Willoughby said...

Chris: Thoughts can be a problem on Twitter. Soundbites are good as are date/place promotions for book signings or guest blogging.

Emily R. King said...

I could be a beta reader for you once I get through my MS and start querying (end of September, I hope). I'd love the distraction.

I'm following you on Twitter! (I think I already was, but I pressed the button to be sure.)

KLo said...

I was very excited when I was informed that you were following me on Twitter ... it's a different world, my friend ;-)

Actually (and somewhat ironically, I suppose), I've found Twitter to be a very powerful writing tool. I have a tendency toward excessive verbosity. Having a character limit, even just when putting updates about my cheeseburger addiction or funny things my kids say or whatev, makes me a lot more aware of not going overboard. Well, sort of ;-)

And you know I'd love to be a beta reader any time. You have my e-mail, so let me know.

defcon said...

Be-lated happy Monday! (lol)

I have Twitter account, which I only made to sign up for a anthology--didn't get in, anyway. But I never use, I find it sort of silly. Same with Google+; I have it and I don't get it.

I wouldn't mind betaing for ya, but I already have a MS I need to beta. Perhaps in the future if you still need someone.

Mark Murata said...

I still have never tweeted yet. I need to get on this.

Martin Willoughby said...

Emily: I may well take you up on the offer.

KLo: It'll take time to get used to it, but it looks good already.

Defcon: It's not for everyone and for some people it's use is confined to 'brand awareness'. I'm waiting to see what I can do with it.

Mark: Don't do it unless you have a use for it. I waited until I could see a use and have the time.

Lauren said...

I have a handful of books I need beta readers for, and I will reciprocate.

I just followed you on twitter.

Lauren

Martin Willoughby said...

Lauren: You're on.

Lauren said...

Go to the beta readers page on Eclectic (www.lauren-ritz.blogspot.com). I signed it at the bottom with my hotmail name.

Lauren