Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Change of Direction

I'm doing something for the first time.  It's scary, it's unusual and I'm not sure about it.  I'm planning a book.

Well, I say plan, it's more a loose collection of thoughts at the moment, but it's more planning than I normally do.  I have a sheet of A4 paper with some scribbled ideas, some of which I can connect.

One idea is an escaped prisoner who goes back to Earth to start a revolution and take over the world. I can link that with God taking a holiday and Harold Kennedy being killed by his robots.  I think I can anyway.  Included in this set of notes are FAT (Faith Against Theocracy).  I'm trying to think of a way get the acronym THIN involved as another one of these groups and maybe expand it to include other revolutionary groups with similar acronyms.  Think of Life of Brian and all the Judean movements.

Other notes include the Atlantic appearing in space and Alan Radford being sent to find out why.  This thread includes pirates, Furteen and aliens from another galaxy.  Another option is a plotline involving Humans settling on another planet that's inhabited by...I don't know I haven't got that far yet, but it may include small, cute furry things that kill with kindness.  Care Bears with attitude.

My head is spinning as I'm not used to doing things this way, but, if you don't try things you'll never discover if there's a better way.

I still start with a question, but I'm using a different method to get the answer.  I'll keep you up to date with how it's going, though I'm sure my pantsing days are not numbered.

Changing the subject completely, don't forget I'm running a competition to win a copy of 'A Stitch in Time'.  Rules, regulations and details of how many body parts you need to donate as an entrance fee are on Monday's blog.

On that note, I shall return to my planning and bid you adieu.

7 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Oh my. If I don't write down my ideas on notebook pages and show some kind of plot progression, then I forget everything and the book never comes to pass.

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: My previous idea of planning was to sit and write whatever came into my head. This way I can have several ideas floating all at once.

Dana said...

Good luck! :)

Caitlin said...

Good luck with your planning!

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: Is there that much luck in the universe?

Caitlin: I'm so used to pantsing I'm coming out in a rash.

Bish Denham said...

I too am learning how to be more of a planner than a pantster. I'm liking it so far. The process seems to make for more ideas which is almost always a good thing.

Martin Willoughby said...

Bish: I've found more ideas this way too. Maybe the planners have something after all?