Monday, July 16, 2012

I'm a Hooker

Actually I'm not. I'm taking part in Hookers and Hangers, a competition from Falling For Fiction.

The rules?  Post the hook lines from the beginning of each of your chapters.  So simple even a man can understand them.

(The hangers can be found over here)

....................................................

Book Title: Apollo the Thirteenth

1 - My name is Mae Clarke. I was born eighteen months ago and am now 20 years old.

2 - Benjamin sat next to me on the flight to the moon from Jupiter station, but barely said a word.

3 - Benjamin was in a good mood at breakfast the following day, humming away to himself.

4 - God dropped by yesterday to see how we were doing and stayed for lunch and dinner after which we watched one of father's DVDs, Galaxy Quest.

5 - Benjamin came over this morning and took me out to lunch.

6 - I spent most of yesterday at the local medicentre with Ben.

7 - Igor shot Ben in the leg this morning.

8 - I couldn't get hold of Ben this morning.

9 - Still no word from Ben.

10 - It's gone midnight and I'm worried.

11 - God pointed out a few spelling mistakes in the previous chapters when she turned up, but then said it was bound to happen with voice recognition software.

12 - The ambassador from Earth was recalled two days later and the embassy closed down.

...............................................................................

And that's that. Were you hooked?  Comment here and over at the Falling for Fiction blog.

Adieu.

33 comments:

Amanda Olivieri said...

Awesome hooks! I especially liked the first one--so intriguing!

Chloe said...

I love that first line - awesome!

I also love the little mini-story that numbers 7 - 10 make in their own right!

Martin Willoughby said...

Amanda: I'm glad you like that one. It's my favourite from the book.

Chloe: As I copied those into the blog I worried that it was looking a little too samey.

J. A. Bennett said...

Oooh, science fiction. I love me some aliens. #4 was my favorite :)

Emily R. King said...

"Igor shot Ben in the leg this morning."

LOL! I'm in.

Martin Willoughby said...

JAB: It's coming your way in November.

Emily: He was only trying to protect Mae.

Freya Morris said...

I love the first one and number four - totally makes you want to read more.

Hope Roberson said...

Fantastic hookers! I was giggling along with quite a few of them, especially after your post's title :) Looking forward to reading your hangers!

Cassie Mae said...

Wow, first one had me! Awesome!

Summer Ross said...

Great first line and I get a very science fictiony feel from this.

Patti said...

Intriguing. You have me very curious.

Martin Willoughby said...

Freya: There's more on the way.

Hope: Well, it is meant to be a comedy.

Cassie: Thank you...and watch this space.

Summer: It's an SF alright.

Patti: It gets curiouser and curiouser.

Leigh Covington said...

You hooked me with the first one, but I love the rest too! Sounds like a cool book!

Rena said...

Ack! Need more! I love the hints that we get from this. I want more.

Emily R. King said...

Martin, now I feel bad for laughing. It's just that everything else was normal (God drops by my house all the time. Ha!) then BANG. Someone is shot. I found it humorous. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

I am officially predicting that this blog post will earn you more blog hits than any other you've had to date. :) (The title will draw in all kinds of "interesting" visitors.)

Suzi said...

Intriguing. You've definitely hooked me into wanting more.

Jenny Morris said...

Okay, everyone is missing the point!! God dropped by yesterday. And God's a she who points out spelling errors. Great stuff!

Deana said...

How can you go wrong with an 18 month old who is almost old enough to drink legally:) Love those hooks, Martin!

tfwalsh said...

You've got me at the first one... i want to know more. Great hooks.

Martin Willoughby said...

Leigh: I'm glad you liked them.

Rena: It's coming, it's coming.

Emily: You're allowed to laugh, it's a comedy and Ben survives. Igor only grazed him with a low power laser.

Lisa: It's certainly heading that way.

Suzi: Job done.

Jenny: YAY! Someone noticed.

Deana: Why thank you.

TF: It's on the way.

Lisa Shafer said...

Give us an update in a few weeks, okay?

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: I will, I will. I'm just going through the edits for the createspace POD of A Stitch In Time.

Kelley Lynn said...

Oh my gosh. That first line is phenomenal! I totally want to know why! What it means. Great job forcing us to have to devour what comes next in your book :)

Nick Wilford said...

I hope Ben was OK in the end! Looking forward to reading this. Number 11 made me laugh.

Martin Willoughby said...

Kelley: It does seem to be a favourite among my critique partners.

Nick: That brought smiles from a lot of people. Mostly women. I wonder why? ;)

1000th.monkey said...

I love the rhythm of #10, but there are a lot of intriguing lines here :)

elizabeth seckman said...

Well if #1 doesn't make you want to find out what's going on, then I don't know what would! Interesting.

Martin Willoughby said...

Monkey: Intrigue and rhythm. I'm sure there's a song in that.

Elizabeth: Thank you for saying so.

Nari said...

The first one is brilliant. Definately hooks you in. These are all really good, I like 11 too. Nice work
Nari X

Martin Willoughby said...

Nari: Number 1 & 11 do seem to be the favourites.

Trisha said...

Your story sounds really interesting and unusual - I like it! This is my fave hook: "Igor shot Ben in the leg this morning."

Martin Willoughby said...

Trisha: He was only being protective of Mae...kind of.