Wednesday, July 25, 2012

How Many Of These Things Do You Do In A Day?


  • Research
  • Edit
  • Read
  • Blog
  • Observe
  • Cogitate
  • Talk with/email editors/magazines/agents
  • Write
  • Beat yourself up for not writing
  • Sketch out a plan of the city in your novel
  • Design the Starship your hero flies
  • Sit in a corner and cry over a rejection letter
  • Map the world you're building
  • Imagine what it'll be like to spend your million pound/dollar advance
  • Create character profiles
  • Go to a writer's group
  • Critique another writer's work

If you practice one or more of these things for a total of two or more hours a day, congratulate yourself.  You're an author.

See you on Friday.

12 comments:

Victoria Lindstrom said...

I spend well over two hours daily doing a variety of the items you listed. You lifted my spirits today, Martin - thanks!

Martin Willoughby said...

Victoria: Congratulations. (And glad to be of help)

Lisa Shafer said...

Well, with self-publishing, I have no need to sit in a corner and cry over a rejection letter. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: You could always send one to yourself if you feel left out.

Chloe said...

I'm an author! Yeah, baby! Now, to convince the rest of the world...

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: Once you convince yourself, the world will follow.

(I should put that on a postcard)

Nearly Martha said...

I do loads of these. Bit concerned about how few of the things I do from the list are actually practical and produce things.

Martin Willoughby said...

Martha: Very little of anything produces something wherever you look. If it helps you produce something in the future, it's productive.

Hope Roberson said...

Yay! I'm an author :)

Your first 250 is up on FFF today!

Martin Willoughby said...

Hope: YAY! I'll be over in a mo.

Kelley Lynn said...

Saweet!!

Martin Willoughby said...

Kelley: I am aren't I.