Monday, July 09, 2012

500 Today

Yep, this is my 500th blog post.  Okay, some of them were written by other people, but I have written posts for other blogs too so it balances out...kind of.

My blog has evolved since November 27th 2008, varying from occasional posts to daily posts to the current three times a week, but one thing has remained the same: my bad typing.  I still type 'slef' instead of 'self' and 'ahve' instead of 'have', errors which I correct before posting...mostly.  What is more, I still have trouble with the apostrophe as I keep hitting the semi-colon key instead.  Can you imagine how much tippex I'd use on a typewriter?

Other things have changed too.  My writing has improved as has my use of language and knowledge of the writing process, with which I've been able get myself published in reputable, semi-reputable and, now liquidated, magazines both online and offline.  I also have two self-published books available on Amazon, formed a publishing co-operative and write two regular columns, for Christian Writer and WritingRaw.

One thing hasn't changed: I still don't earn any money from writing.  Ah well, my time will come.

In my personal life there have been a lot of changes too, some good some bad, from all of which I've learnt about myself.  Separation, divorce, homelessness, sofa surfing, suicide, new friends (online and offline), contentment (mostly) and an inner strength I'd forgotten about.  It's that last reason why a recent picture I posted on a Friday Fun blog struck home.

I asked myself this question, gave it some thought and on balance I think I would be rather proud of myself.  I know it sounds like I've descended in raging egotism, but when I think back to how I viewed the life ahead,  how I wanted to live it and be remembered (the fantasies of flying to the moon and saving humanity aside), I've more or less achieved it.

I have three boys and although the marriage they were born into no longer exists, I can say with my hand on my heart I did my best to keep the family together then and now.  My moral guide keeps me (almost) on the straight and narrow and bitterness has been kept to a minimum.  There are days when I cannot believe how positive I can be.

If I sat down with that child now, we'd both be relatively happy.

So what next?  In short, no idea.  Not having a time machine or the gift of prophecy I don't know whether I will get run over by a bus tomorrow or be discovered for the literary genius I am...I wish.

All I can promise that child is that I will continue to be the best father possible, improve my writing, (eventually) get paid for it and develop deeper friendships with those I know and with people I haven't yet met.  That, and keep every Friday post for some fun and philosophy.

To that child I would give the following advice:  Enjoy life as best you can.  Be kind, be generous, give the benefit of the doubt where it's due, but always fight when you are presented with no other realistic choice.  And NEVER give up on who you are.  You're special and wonderful, even if no one you love tells you that.

Have a great day.

27 comments:

elizabeth seckman said...

Great post. Hope the money comes soon. :)

Lisa Shafer said...

Very introspective. It sounds like you have chosen wisely.
Congrats on 500 posts. :)

Alexia said...

I wish you luck, continued positivity, and fulfilment. And the advice you would give to your childish self is perfect.

And well done on 500 posts!

Martin Willoughby said...

Elizabeth: So do I.

Lisa: A little introspection is good for the soul...or so I'm told.

Alexia: Thankyou.

scskillman said...

I enjoyed this post. Congratulations on hitting the 500 mark! Keep on with being honest, fun, discerning, and making people laugh.

Martin Willoughby said...

SCS: Aww shucks, I'm blushing...and enjoying the ego boost.

Shell Flower said...

Wow, 500 posts is a lot, even if you didn't write them all. Good advice to your inner child, too. I hope that things keep getting better for you through all the transition.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Congrats on your 500th post! And that was a nice, uplifting message at the end - especially for a Monday :)

Freya Morris said...

Congrats on all fronts!

Martin Willoughby said...

Shell: Thanks. They get better every week.

Cindy: I'm not a Monday person normally...so I wrote it on Sunday and scheduled it.

Freya: Thankyou Bananagirl.

Hope Roberson said...

Congrats on 500 posts! Amazing! I often look at my own kids and have the wonder of what they see driving me to try a bit harder :)

martine said...

Hi, followed you here from your comment on Inky Fool. I too am pondering my 500th post, feeling like it should say something significant. Lovely post, very thoughtful.
thanks for sharing
martine

Martin Willoughby said...

Hope: Kids can do that for you.

Martine: Don't over think it. Go with what your inner self thinks will be good.

shrink on the couch said...

Congrats. This 500th is certainly pride worthy. Great post. However, I could use some expansion on the advice "give the benefit of the doubt where it's due." Emphasis on "where it's due." Tough one to help people figure out in my line of work.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

You look GREAT for 500, Sir! Oh wait...500th ENTRY. That makes sense. :) I'm glad your life is getting to where you want because that is an enviable prize. So good for you.

I also need to take a lesson and proof read my own entries because I almost never do and just....well I get excited.

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Martin - I'm so excited to leave a comment on your 500th post - Congratulations! You should be so proud of how you have withstood the storms of life. I can truly relate; thanks for your insightful remarks. Best of luck!

Martin Willoughby said...

Shrink: Most of the time I'm not aware of the specific circumstances of someone's life or the reasons behind their actions, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Where I do know the person/reasons, no benefit is given.

Veg: Your excitement is one of things that makes your blogs so...exciting.

Victoria I've got this far and I'm not going to give up now.

defcon said...

Congrats on the 500th post!

Very deep and moving post. Always keep positive. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Defcon: Thank you.

PV Lundqvist said...

Sounds like you haven't given up on who you really are.

For that, I'm glad.

Michelle Davidson Argyle said...

What an absolutely beautiful post. I am so happy you can answer that question with such confidence and happiness! And keep writing and sharing. I don't think money has as much to do with feeling completely satisfied with writing as a lot of people think it does. :)

Martin Willoughby said...

PVL: I did for a while, but I'm glad I've refound myself.

Michelle: If anyone goes into writing just for the money, they are in for a hard time and a lot of heartache.

Emily R. King said...

An encouraging post! It's never too late to be introspective and make subtle changes in our lives based on what we see when we look back.

I'm a new follower. Very nice meeting you, Martin.

Ruth Josse said...

500! Wow. Congrats. :)

Your advice would benefit everyone. And it's amazing how positivity can affect your life. Well done, sir.

Martin Willoughby said...

Emily: I'm happy to meet you too.

Ruth: And I don't look a day over 400.

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats on 500. And maintaining a blog for that length of time is an impressive feat too.

I'm glad you've come through those things in life and come out with positivity and sense of humour intact!

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: You can laugh or cry. I choose to laugh unless I HAVE to cry.