Monday, June 04, 2012

Monday Update

Another week, another set of updates and more of life to laugh at.

So far I have six guest bloggers lined up for June, July and August and there's space for even more between now and the end of the year.  If you want to be one of the chosen many, email me at martin (at) starfishpc (dot) co (dot) uk.

In news from the writing sphere of my life, I've finished and submitted May's short story for W1S1 as well as re-submitted two rejected stories to other magazines.  The practical upshot of this work, and the other rejections the writer's group have received, is we're all going out for a meal to celebrate being rejected and then treat ourselves with a day trip to Avebury Stone Circle on Monday 25th June.

On a completely different note, one song that's been going round my head for years is the theme tune to 'The Flashing Blade'.  The show was made in France in the 1960s, was dubbed into English for British TV and shown many times throughtout the 60s and 70s.  It wasn't that good, but the lyrics of the theme song have stayed with me for years and now, thanks to the wonders of Youtube, I can listen to it in full once again and remember to 'fight for what I want'.  See what you make of the song.





While I'm on the subject of promoting people whose blogs have less than 100 followers and deserve more, look up Defcon's blog. She's a hard working writer with a sense of humour.

19 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

I'm thinking about offering my services as a guest blogger, as soon as I figure out what to write about.

Good luck with this month's submissions! What do you do to celebrate an acceptance, then?

That sounds like a theme tune like they don't make any more. For some reason, I thought of the opening sequence to the first series of Blackadder - where he keeps falling off the horse.

Martin Willoughby said...

nick: Blackadder? That thought never occurred to me, but now I can't get it out of my head.

Dana said...

Good luck with the submissions!

Chloe said...

I love Avebury. I am in fact a megalithomaniac.

Martin Willoughby said...

Dana: Thank you.

Chloe: Now that's a word I've never heard before. (You anywhere near there on the 25th June?)

Chloe said...

It's a good word, isn't it? I tried to convince my lecturer to let me do my dissertation on megaliths, but as I was doing a biology degree I wasn't allowed!

Unfortunately nowhere near that day. Meeting you in person would be cool! If ever you're in Devon...

Patti said...

Good luck with the submissions and what a great video. Totally reminds me of being a kid.

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: Shame. If I'm ever in Devon, or close enough, I'll let you buy me a cream tea. :)

Patti: Why do our kids have better programs than we did?

Chloe said...

Only if you put the cream on first, jam on top. Otherwise I can't be seen with you...

DaveK said...

Congratulations on making your Write1Sub1 goal for May. I have found that having this deadline really helps me get at least one story done and sub'ed each month.

Write, edit, repeat.

Dave K

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: That's the way I've always done it. I must be a Devonian at heart.

DaveK: Nothing like an impending deadline to make you work.

defcon said...

Aww, thank you for the shout out. I really appreciate it. :)

And congrats on meeting your W1S1 goal!

That Flashing Blade theme song is sooo cheesy, hehe. But I guess a lot of stuff was cheesy back then, huh?

Martin Willoughby said...

Defcon: Cheesy? I could feel my arteries harden while I watched it.

Milo James Fowler said...

A rejection party? I like it. And I heartily agree that folks should follow Defcon's blog. And in related news...way to go on meeting your May W1S1 goals!

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: We'll probably have an Indian meal.

Nearly Martha said...

For some reason that I can't quite pin down, the Flashing Blade theme reminds me of the theme "White Horses" - same period i think. Can't remember anything about either programme - just the tunes. It's probably Saturday morning at my Grandma's that makes it familiar!

Martin Willoughby said...

Martha: It was out at about the same time (but in black and white) and was usually run the same day. I remember it too and that theme is also available on Youtube.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Hell yes, celebrate those rejections. One man's poison and all that. Just means it's destined for BETTER things! Here's to creativity.

Now to go play that song. I'm worried it'll stick in my head and then I'll have to kill you.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: Oh, it'll stick in your head alright. I'll make sure my will's up to date.

p.s. I know you're too young to remember it.