Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Getting It Out

One of the hardest parts of writing for shy, retiring, home-loving writers is promoting themselves.  You may find this hard to believe, but I have a problem with it too.  Putting myself out there for everyone to see and take note of is scary, but I've found a way to do it: slowly.

I started this blog back in 2009 and it's taken me nearly three years to get to the point where I can (almost) happily promote myself.  This year I've accepted two offers of guest blog spots on Falling For Fiction and Charity Writes, the latter one scheduled for June 19th without blushing or wondering if I'm being too pushy.  On the back of this I've asked for others to promote themselves here as well.

What have I done to overcome this reticence?  Partly, I've built a character, the writer, that does all this painful stuff and any flak goes to the character not me, though I have to say I haven't had anything negative happen yet.  I've also chosen low key methods to get myself used to it, such as the blogtalkradio interview I did back in February.  By keeping things at arms length and small for the time being I've been able to be more courageous about what I do and learn from the experience.

If you're one of the reticent types, try this approach. Take your time about about it and try a guest spot here.  I won't judge you, I'll allow you full control of your blog and you get to talk about you, your books to over 100 lovely, wonderful supportive people.

And just to get you in the mood, here's a happy song by the Proclaimers.






See you on Friday.

10 comments:

Charity Bradford said...

It's good to remember that if someone is asking for guest bloggers, that means they really want to hear from you and about you.

Thanks for guest blogging with me this month. It helps me during a super busy time, helps me get to know more about you, and I hope it will help you as well. We're a community, right? ;)

Martin Willoughby said...

Charity: Sometimes all someone needs is the encouragement to step forward.

We are a SUPER community.

Nick Wilford said...

Good on you for getting yourself out there, Martin. I imagine it gets easier the more you do it. I like the idea of thinking of it as a character doing it all.

Milo James Fowler said...

You da man, Martin. I hate the self-promotion side of being a writer. But with so many of us inundating cyberspace, we've got to take our work to readers somehow.

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: Being a character makes it easier, but you still have to find a way of being you, though some writers seem to be in character all the time.

Milo: Take as many opportunities as you feel comfortable with.

Kelley Lynn said...

Thanks SO much for being on FFF!!! We loved having you!!

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

So glad you're meeting your goals, Martin! Self promo isn't easy for me either, but it is necessary.

Martin Willoughby said...

Kelley: It was good for me too. Let me know if you want an encore.

Cindy: I find it easier as my superhero alterego 'The Writer', than as myself.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Well, at least you picked one of the BEARABLE Proclaimers songs. I like that one! Uh huh, uh huh.

And it goes without saying, good luck with putting yourself out there.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: I just remember it from Shrek.