Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Day Out and Some Good Advice.

The writer's group had a day out as a reward for our hard work writing our books, getting them published and then raking in the rejections for other work.  We went to Avebury, walked round the stone circle, took lots of photos and recorded some video snippets for a book trailer for one of our authors.

Here's a selection of photos from the day.

The stones are not uniform in shape or size and many are missing.

One of the larger stones, but all have strange marks in them, mostly due to weathering and people touching/hugging them.

The root system under the wishing trees, three old trees planted close together at the top of a small hill.  What kind of story would this conjure up in your mind?

Looking up the side of one of the taller stones.  I'm 5'6" short and the stone is about 8' foot tall.  You'll have to excuse the water bottle in the bottom left.

You'll have to wait for the video as I have to transfer it from tape to DVD and then do some further editing for it to be worthwhile watching.  What we may do is show the video of Belle (the author) reading from the first draft of her novel on youtube and the website within the next few weeks.  The whole trailer will be available by November.

Now, I promised you some advice.  Writer Neil Gaiman gave the keynote address at the University of Arts in May this year in which he highlighted seven pieces of wisdom for everyone involved in creating artisitc work.  The full text is below the video if you haven't got time to listen to the whole 20 minutes.

With that, I bid you adieu and I shall see you on Friday.

7 comments:

Alexia said...

Looks like a great outing - that bottom one really gives an idea of how tall the stone is. Nice photos!

Martin Willoughby said...

Alexia We have one photo where we made a mock sacrifice on one stone.

KLo said...

Beautiful ... almost enough to tempt me onto an airplane ;-)

Martin Willoughby said...

KLo: I'd be more than happy to welcome you to Britain and show you round Avebury. It's only an hour or so from Heathrow.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Well I, for one, am interested in seeing your video!

Also, Mr. Gaiman's speech was fantastic and I read every word of it (I'd much rather read these things than watch them because I am strange!)

Dana said...

Amazing pictures! If I ever get over that way, I definitely want to visit.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: I'll get onto it quickly, just because it's you. (And I prefer to read it too. Much quicker)

Dana: It's much better than stonehenge and it's also free to visit...aside from the car park.