Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Meeting The Muse

One of the most basic pieces of advice given to new writers is to make a special time for yourself to write.  It enables your muse to arrive at the right time and plave.  It is not always possible or even practical to do especially if you have children/husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/mistres/gigolo/job or any combination of these.  So what can you do?  Build a routine.

Step 1.  Pick and choose any items from the following list for your routine and add some of your own.
  • Make a cup of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and use a special mug
  • Read for 10 minutes
  • Check your list of writerly things to do
  • Put on some appropriate music or a special CD/playlist
  • Feed the dog/cat/hamster/rabbit/parrott
  • Put on your special slippers/cardigan/pyjamas
  • Pray for inspiration
 You get the idea.

Step 2. Sit down and write.

By going through a small list of prompts, you will get your mind in the right mood whatever time of day it is, or wherever you are.

Happy writing.

13 comments:

defcon said...

Heh, my daily routine is to check my email and duotropes at least three times a day. Would that be considered a writerly thing? :P

Good advice here.

Martin Willoughby said...

Defcon: Yep, that counts. ;)

E. Arroyo said...

I like these ideas. I have to settle the house to some sort of peace before I can sit and write. Thanks,

Milo James Fowler said...

Sage advice, sir. I've got a writing playlist, and in typical Pavlovian fashion, once I hear it begin, words just start drooling out of me.

Dana said...

Great advice, Martin!

Dave K said...

Congratulations on making your W1S1 goals. Unfortunately my schedule includes too much web surfing and procrastinating. But I'm working on it.

Martin Willoughby said...

EA: Headphones and a shut door can also help.

Milo: You have it licked.

Dana: Hope it helps.

Dave: The internet is a huge distraction, especially when you're doing 'research'.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Yep, me and my little doggie have our routine before I settle in to write every morning. So far,it's working!

Martin Willoughby said...

Cindy: Excellent. And what does your dog do?

Jeff Chapman said...

In addition to praying for inspiration, I would pray that time stops for a couple hours and no one bothers me. With a spouse, 4 kiddos, and cat, any substantial bit of uninterrupted time is a minor miracle. Congrats on meeting your W1S1 goals.

Martin Willoughby said...

Jeff: Thankyou. AS for stopping time, it's theoretically possible, but no one's built the machine yet.

elizabeth seckman said...

Came all the way from the Falling for Fiction site just to follow.

Martin Willoughby said...

Elizabeth: I'm humbled. Something very difficult for someone as great as me. ;)