Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday WIP Update

Not a busy week, but still a few things happening.

I finally finished my short story (first draft) for write1sub1. Next week I'll edit it and add in the various bits that I left our in order to get the story finished. I also designed and printed a DVD cover.

The idea is to sell CDs at our next book launch, each with a copy of the book burned onto them along with a link to Amazon's free kindle software in a 'readme' document. We'll package it into a thin DVD case, print a cover and also add a bookmark and a small advert for all our books in it, like Disney do in each of their DVDs. I created one and took it along to the weekly meeting and it went down well.

One other task I completed was to go through a pile of papers with story ideas on them and decide what to keep and what to throw. I only threw a couple of them away as they were duplicates and pulled a couple of others out to work on.

Not much for the week, but enough.

Now for the next scene of the play. Let me know what you think.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Scene 5 (John Maynard's Parlour)

John and the Mayor sit at a table, facing each other, with the Mayor's son and Margaret standing behind them. John is reading a piece of parchment and the Mayor waits while he does so. After a moment or two, John signs it and hands it to the Mayor.

John: The house is now yours, along with everything I leave behind. As soon as I pass through the town gates, I rescind my claim to anything left in this house.

Mayor: Thankyou Mr Maynard. (He signals to his son to give him the bag he's been holding) And here is your payment. £425 as agreed.

Son: (Aside) Too much if you ask me.

Mayor: No one did.

John and the mayor stand up and shake hands.

Mayor: When will you be leaving?

John: As soon as the cart is loaded and the horse has been hitched to it.

Mayor: Are you sure you want to travel overnight? It may be best to wait until the morning and use as much daylight as possible. Not forgetting that there may be highwaymen around.

John: Highwaymen are as likely to rob you in daylight as during the night. I should know. Besides, I can deal with them. What I don't want to deal with is the return of those villagers looking for Margaret and her children. Highwaymen will take my money. Those men will take their lives.

Mayor: As you wish. (He turns to leave stage right and ushers his son out first Before he leaves the stage he stops and turns back to John). I hope you can make a new life wherever it is you go. (He bows, then turns to Margaret and bows) Madam. I wish the same for you.

Margaret: What will you do if the men return? Will you tell them where we have gone?

Mayor: I don't know where you are going, so what can I tell them? You have my assurance that if they return within the next week or so, I shall ensure that they do not leave for several days. I'm sure there are some town bye-laws I can accuse them of breaking. (He bows once more and exits stage right)

John puts his hand on the bag of money.

Margaret: I've never seen so much money in my life.

John: Nor have I. Not in one place anyway. (He turns to Margaret). Are the girls ready?

Margaret: Elena is cleaning the kitchen and Elizabeth is making sure everything is packed properly on the cart. (She walks over to the carved chair) Are you sure you don't want to take this with you? As a keepsake in memory of your family?

John: I'm sure. I have a trunk of smaller items for that purpose and a head full of images from the past. We have enough furniture on the cart already as well as four people.

Margaret: We? I own nothing, not even the clothes I'm wearing. How can you say we? I am not your wife. Unless you want me to become your wife. I would be glad to and not just for the sake of my children, but...

John: Margaret, I do not want you as my wife. When we reach our destination I will tell everyone that you are my sister-in-law.

Margaret: But surely your brother will know I am not.

John: My brother has never met my wife...my late wife, nor does he know much about her family. He moved long before I got married. He may have his suspicions, but he will not question me on the subject.

Margaret: Will he think I am a whore?

John: No. He knows I would not entertain such a woman.

Margaret: But he may think you have...

John: Trust me in this. Please.

Margaret nods. Elizabeth enters stage right.

Elizabeth: The cart is loaded and secure and the horse has been hitched.

Margaret: Good, get your sister and wait for us outside.

Elizabeth: She's already outside, looking after the horse. The young man who brought it over, Michael, is telling her about how to look after it.

John: Michael? Oh yes, the blacksmith's son. A good lad. It's time we were going. You two go outside and I'll join you in a minute.

Margaret: Is there anything I can do to help.

John: Not in here. I shall be with you soon.

Margaret and Elizabeth exit stage right. After they have gone, John walks over to the carved chair and runs his hand over the arms and the back.

John: Oh Caroline, how I miss you and the children. I wonder what you would have thought of Margaret and her children? Would you have taken them in as I have? Of course you would. But I wonder what you would say now, if you knew my thoughts, if you knew I was considering a marriage. What would you say?

(John pats the chair and walks slowly off, stage right)

---------------------------------------------------

With that, I'll bid you adieu, and see you on Wednesday.

8 comments:

Kelley Lynn said...

You're going to throw out story ideas?!?!?

Martin Willoughby said...

Kelley: Calm yourself. Only the duplicates. :)

Deana said...

Good for you to know where you put all those little scraps of paper with ideas on them:) I write mine in the most random places and then I foget where the heck I put them. I have GOT to get organized!

Patti said...

Great scene, but I think I missed a part. I'll have to go back and see if I can read it.

Martin Willoughby said...

Deana: A paper folder is enough.

Patti: They're on every Monday.

Milo James Fowler said...

I need to start thinking about my Write1Sub1 for this month...

"No. He knows I would not entertain such a woman." -- great line!

E. Arroyo said...

I have a bunch of notebooks with story ideas. I can't seem to throw them out. LOL.

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: Glad you like the line.

EA: I only throw out duplicates. Everything else can be used.