Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday WIP

It's Monday...accept it.

I hope you all had a great weekend. I had my youngest son with me and we spent the time watching DVDs and...just watching DVDs actually. Well, we did a lot of cuddling up on the sofa watching them at night and he fell asleep on my lap each time. Aaaahhh.

I haven't subbed my two short stories yet, but that is something I will do by Friday. What I have done is write another of my 'writing raw' columns and submitted it. This month, it's about selling online. I'll post the link when it's published. The column for Christian Writer has been agreed and accepted so that'll be out in a month or so and I'm already working on the next one.

The play rehearsals are going quite well. The cast are showing up, practising the moves on stage and learning the lines too. We will be ready for May's performances.

Starfish are planning the next launch, due in June, but we are beginning to wonder if two launches a year is beyond us. We're feeling our way through this, learning as we go and the deadline we set may be a tad unreasonable. So we're going to think about it this week and make a decision next Monday evening: which I shall tell you all about.

Now it's time for the next installment of the play. Act 2, scene 2.

-----------------------------------------------

Scene 2 (Town square. One stallholder selling pottery visible)

A man enters from stage left and turns round to speak to someone offstage.

Man: I won't be long. I want to see what the potter's got for sale. We might be able to make a profit back home if I can get it for the right price. (Walks towards the stall holder) Interesting pots you have here. You the creator or the seller?

Stallholder: Both. What are you looking for? If you can't see what you want I'll be able to make it for you, though that may cost a bit more.

Man: I'm more interested in a trade. I'm looking for a supply of good pots and jars. Our village potter died last year and he had no family to take over the job, so we're a bit stuck.

Stallholder: And you want to supply the village before anyone else does. Surely there's a local town market.

Man: But it takes a day to get there and back and it's only once a week. If I have a ready supply of these things I can sell them as they are needed.

Stallholder: And set your own price too, no doubt.

Man: That's business.

Stallholder: So where is this village.

Man: Long way away.

Stallholder: Too far for me to get there and sell my goods no doubt.

Man: Oh yes. Far far away.

Stallholder: Then you won't mind telling me will you.

(Pause)

Man: So you're not interested in selling then.

Stallholder: Didn't say that. I'm just curious, that's all.

Man: Well, you look like a man I can trust.

Stallholder: Sure about that?

Man: No, not really, but I want to know how much you're selling these for so I can decide if it's worth my while. And yours.

Stallholder: No harm in a business discussion.

Man: None at all.

They talk about prices, though the audience can't hear it. Margaret comes on from stage right, holding a basket of food and looks around as if she's looking for another stall. She sees the man talking to the stallholder and thinks she recognises him. She gasps as she realises that she does. The stallholder turns to her and waves and the man turns to see her and looks at her, then turns back to the stallholder. Margaret exits stage right.

Man: (Looks at the fleeing Margaret) Who was that woman?

Stallholder: Who?

Man: The one you waved to? The one that just ran away?

Stallholder: Her name is Margaret. She lives with a man called John Maynard as his housekeeper with her two daughters. Came back to the town to see her father after her husband was murdered. Why?

Man: She reminds me of someone from our village, someone we've been looking for.

Stallholder: Looking for?

Man: Village business. You know what it's like in small towns and villages. There are things you need to take care of that you don't want the law involved in.

Stallholder: Yes. We've had our share of that.

Man: How long has she lived here?

Stallholder: Quite a while. A year or so. You think that's her?

Man: Are you sure she's been here that long?

Stallholder: Quite sure. (Pause) I don't think I'll be able to supply what you need at the price you're offering.

Man: (Hesitates) No. I'm sure you can't. Won't stop me coming back another time and trying though. If you catch my drift.

Stallholder: Perfectly. Good day.

Man: Good day.

Man exits stage left.

Stallholder: (Puts his head in his hands) Not again. Not again.

-----------------------------------------------

There we go. Let me know what you feel/think.

With that, I'll wish you a pleasant couple of days and hope to see you on Wednesday.

TTFN

4 comments:

Patti said...

Great scene. Left me very curious to find out what happens next.

T. Z. Wallace said...

I agree--very intriguing!

I know what you mean about unrealistic deadlines...dealing with one of those myself. I hope it works out. Let us know how it goes!

By the way, cuddling days on the sofa are the best! :)

The Vegetable Assassin said...

STOP BEING SO BUSY! :)

Hi, you might remember me, I was once a tiny fish on the internetz till I kept disappearing and getting the flu and things. I wasn't as busy as you, however!

Glad everything's progressing nicely!

Martin Willoughby said...

Patti: All will be revealed over the coming weeks.

TZ: I love cuddling. Pity my elder teens don't.

Veg: You are unforgettable and I just sound busy.