Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Memes

First up, a reminder about the contest to win some free ebooks. What is more, you don't need a separate ereader to enjoy them as you can read them on your pc/mac/ipad etc.

I have been tagged in a couple of Memes, so I thought I'd share them today. First up, I was tagged in the Lucky 7 Meme by Freya Morris. The rules are straightforward.

1. Go to page 77 of your current MS
2. Go to line 7
3. Copy down the next 7 lines - sentences or paragraphs - and post them as they're written. No cheating
4. Tag 7 authors
5. Let them know

My problem is that neither of my WIPs are at page 77, so I've bent the rules by picking my longest WIP (currently titled Magic) and going to page 27 instead. Here's what it says.

“That's one of the new rules. It wasn't in force when you were training me. Sadly.” He opened his fingers and peered through them at Ban Hou. She sat on the edge of his coffee table, legs crossed, hands placed behind her. “You've lost weight.”
“I can be any shape I want. I improved my looks too, not that it's easy to better perfection, but I did it.” She smiled at him, but it wasn't the hateful, cruel smile he remembered.
“Are you still angry at me?” He said
“For what?”


Intriguing, no?

The second one is a tag and I was tagged by Valentina Hepburn. For this I have to answer the questions below.

What is the title of your current WIP. Tell us about it? I have two on the go and a play. The first novel is the follow up to A Stitch in Time and is currently called Apollo the Thirteenth. In this one, Mae tells the tale of how her parents were chased round the moon by the Apollo 13 lander, which turns out to be a Dagon weapon that they never used in the war. The second is a comic fantasy with the working title of Magic and is about a wizard and his apprentice fighting comic book villains. The play is a more serious tale about a woman and her two daughters who have to flee their village after her husband is murdered.

When did you start blogging and why? I started a little over three years ago, partly to join the blogging world of writers and partly as an online diary of my life.

If you could do anything tomorrow, what would you do? Take my kids on holiday to somewhere warm. There would be lots of athletic things for my youngest to do and lots of computers so my other two boys can play games. I'd have a brand new ereader and all the books I could ever want.

Describe your happy place. A house in the middle of nowhere with good central heating and a fast internet connection.

What was your first happy memory? My 10th birthday when I had a rocket cake made by my mother.

What was the scariest thing you've ever done? Climb to the second floor of the Eiffel Tower. I'm scared of heights so much, I get a nosebleed when I stand on tiptoes.

What is the funniest thing you did today? Shared banter with two colleagues at the charity shop I work in every Wednesday afternoon.

What is the strangest place you've ever got an idea for a story? The bathroom. I don't go out much (All together now...aaaaaawwwwwwwwwww).

Where do you write? In my bedroom or my front room, or anywhere else I happen to have a pen and paper or my computer.

If you just won a ticket to anywhere in the world and you had to take me, where would you take me and why? Well, Valentina, if you're asking me out on a date you're going about it in a roundabout way. Alright I'll stop messing about. I think I'd take you to Hay-on Wye and spend the entire day going round the book and tea shops. If you're lucky I'll treat you to a Pizza before taking you home. Why? I think you like books as much as I do.

That just leaves me to pass on the happiness.

For both the lucky seven meme and the tag contest, I'll nominate:

Caitlin
E. Arroyo
Lisa Shafer
Nicole
Saucy Lucy
and
Nick Wilford

The observant will notice I've only tagged six people. Well, rules were made to be broken and if I can get away with it, I'll break 'em.

Finally, I normally post funny pictures on Friday, but I just had to share this one ahead of time. Enjoy.

13 comments:

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Thanks for this, Martin! How fun. I'll pass it along.

Freya Morris said...

Love the pic! Great WIP snapshot too.

E. Arroyo said...

Awesome. Thanks for selecting me. I'll post on Friday!

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

I do my post with everything next Wednesday.

Kelley said...

Oh no! Scared of heights! Good for you for climbing up some of the Eiffel Tower though!

Nick Wilford said...

Thanks for nominating me. I'll have to check if my MS has a page 77 yet. I'm slightly scared. Your excerpt does sound pretty good. I'll try and post Sunday/Monday and round everything up (got the Sunshine award too, woo!!)

Martin Willoughby said...

Cindy: Enjoy.

Freya: I loved the picture. Gave me a lift.

EA: Looking forward to it.

Cindy: Can't wait to see you're WIP and your answers.

Kelley: I was gripping everything remotely solid on the way up.

Nick: If it hasn't got 77 pages, then bend the rules a little.

Caitlin said...

I bet many great thoughts and ideas have come to people in the bathroom. More than people would care to admit! Thanks for tagging me, I'm looking forward to this.

Valentina Hepburn said...

Oh, Martin. You sure know how to treat a girl. Sounds so lovely. Of course I love books...and pizza!

Lisa Shafer said...

You have been tagged with a blog award. C'mon over to my blog and collect it.

Martin Willoughby said...

Caitlin: It's probably one of the few times we have time to think.

Valentina: Hay-on-Wye it is then.

Lisa: I shall be right over.

Deana said...

Wow, tagged and asked on a date:) I like that you got an idea from the bathroom. Sometimes that is the only alone time I can get so it makes sense to me:)

Martin Willoughby said...

Deana: A date. And she's seen my picture!