Wednesday, March 14, 2012

An Award and A Hint


Yet another award, this time From Lisa Shafer. She writes YA fiction and her current release is entitled 'Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire' a story about a teenager who is a half-vampire. Having read it, I would say it's a good book for adults too.


Naturally, there are rules for this sort of thing and they are:
1. Link back to the person that bestowed the award upon you. (tick)
2. Follow the person that bestowed the award upon you. (tick)
3. Pass along to 15 Lovely Bloggers! (Errr...I'll try.)

Finding 15 lovely blogs may be a bit hard for a man (you know how we are with colours), so I'll pick some lovely people.

1. Michelle Davidson Argyle at the Innocent Flower. One of the first blogs I followed and one of the best writing ones I've seen.
2. Dana at The Daily Dose. Writes each blog in 100 words and it's always thought provoking.
3. Valentina Hepburn at Letters. Everytime I read her blog I just go, aaahhhhhh.
4. Caitlin at All About Growing Up. How can you not love someone who makes her own detergent.

Not quite fifteen, but not far short...kind of. Now there's nothing in thye rules about telling them, but I will anyway.

Onto other things, and a gentle reminder that I'm running a competition to win ebooks. The rules are available on last Monday's blog, so hop on over and enter if you haven't already. If you have, post another entry anyway.

And finally a little bit of advice I picked up from a book called 'Self Editing for Fiction Writers', by Browne and King.

Be careful with your points-of-view. Sometimes it's tempting to write a scene and get inside the head of more than one person. Their advice is not to do this as it can be confusing to the reader unless done well. If you need different perspectives, break the scene up by leaving a line-break between the points of view.

Personally, I prefer it when there is one point of view per scene and it's made clear at the start of the passage as I'm not wondering who's head I'm inside. You can miss some information by using only one POV, but by using the line-break you can get round this.

With that I'll say sayonara and see you on Friday for some more fun and silly pictures.

9 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Well done on another lovely award!

I've been known to a do a bit of "headhopping". I think it's fine as long as it's done within reason - for example, if you want to show another character's perspective on a scene that has just been told from one character's POV. But other times, that can be left to the reader's imagination. Like most things, the story and the scene should dictate how it's approached.

Lisa Shafer said...

:)
And I always look forward to your Friday posts.

Kelley said...

Personally, I like it when we're in a certain POV for the chapter. I can deal with line breaks to signify a change.

But I don't like headhoping all willy nilly like. I get dizzy :)

Congrats on the award!

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: The story dhould determine it, but I've read books where the head-hopping occurs three times in the space of ten lines. Way too much.

Lisa: See you Friday. And you'll love the shopping one I've got.

Kelley: It's the confusion I don't like. I like one thing at a time.

Valentina Hepburn said...

Hi, Martin, Thank you for the award and congratulations on yours. It's cheered up a dull Thursday. POV can be tricky but if done well can enhance a scene. Will give you another shout out in my next post.

Dana said...

Thank you for the award! :)

Martin Willoughby said...

Valentina: Glad to be of help. You deserve it.

Dana: Yours is one of the most intersting blogs I've discovered on the net.

Caitlin said...

Aww, thank you so much for the award! I'll have to look into "Confessions of an Average Half-Vampire". I'm curious as to what a half-vampire is, should be interesting!

Martin Willoughby said...

Caitlin: It's a good book and well worth an adult's time to read.