Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Writing For Magazines

On Monday I may have mentioned in passing that I had an article published. In the same issue of the magazine was another fine article about websites where writers can bid for work writing magazine articles, so I thought I'd pass it on in case anyone wanted to try this avenue out.

The two main sites used are Guru and Elance. You need to register and give yourself a profile (who would want a writer that didn't tell you something about themselves) and you'll also need a paypal account so they can pay you the squillions of dollars you'll soon be earning...okay, so it'll be small beer to start with ($30 is what the lady earnt with each of her first two 500 word articles), but that's no reason not to dream.

After that, you keep bidding, writing and getting paid...according to the author who's been doing this since October last year and getting a reasonable amount of paid work.

I haven't set foot in this market yet, but it's someting I'm going to keep an eye on doing. Not just because of the exposure and writing practice, but also because it'll (hopefully) earn me some money.

One other website she suggest is Writers Weekly as there are usually adverts for 'writers wanted' there too.

So there you have it. Some useful advice from a lady that knows.

See you on Friday.

4 comments:

Chloe said...

I didn't think I'd find much of interest in that edition of the magazine, but I thought that article was pretty useful. And your article was obviously the highlight!

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: Awww, shucks. (blushes)

Freya Morris said...

Thanks Martin - am heading over there now.

Martin Willoughby said...

Freya: Good luck.