Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Value of Plugging Away

If you keep at things you do get somewhere. On Monday I received an email asking if I would like to write a column for a magazine called Christian Writer on the subject of epublishing. I had to restrain myself from saying yes immediately in case I sounded too eager, so I waited ten minutes.

I will have 200 words, or thereabouts, every issue to write about the subject and I will need to write at least five columns over the coming year and a half. Okay, so no money will change hands, but this is a big milestone as I have been asked by an editor to write regularly for a full colour magazine. Share the joy, people.

Over the past few years I have set small goals to achieve at some point during the year. One year, it was to get something, anything published, a goal I achieved with a couple of short stories and a some book reviews. The next year I set the goal of getting published in a different place as well and last year it was to epublish a book.

This year I've set myself the goal to earn something from my writing (not including anything I get from the ebook published last year), even if it's only £1. While the column will not achieve this, it's a side effect from my goal setting of previous years, showing that small, achieveable goals work well for me.

I still have ten months to go for this year's goal, but after this piece of news I have a lot more confidence in my ability to earn as I learn.

See you on Friday.

21 comments:

Chloe said...

I look forward to reading your columns! (I won a year's membership as part of my prize for winning CWs SS competition last year!)

That's my goal for the year too! I've won money before but that's not the same as really earning it. Good luck!

Martin Willoughby said...

Chloe: We all need goals and I hope you achieve yours too.

Patti said...

Congrats that's very exciting and a little scarey.

Nick Wilford said...

Congrats, I hope all goes well with your columns.

Ah yes, moolah, so elusive for so many of us in the writing world. Does anyone ever go into this business thinking that they're going to make their fortune any more? It is a goal for me, too (partly, I admit, in order to prove to my other half that this whole thing is viable).

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Good for you, fella!

("Fella" is my new term of endearment for males and females alike!)

So are you going to be all religiousy (it IS a word!) in your column?

Also, if I may say something rude, EFF THOSE NEW CAPTCHA THINGS. I can never read them and this one is making me try four times now. FOUR. I'm a grouch today, huh.

Martin Willoughby said...

Patti: Even more scary when the editor wants a dialogue about the column. I know they're in charge, but it's all new to me.

Nick: A living may be a goal, but it's a long slog to get there, the same as in any walk of life.

Martin Willoughby said...

Veg: Hi there fella! The magazine's about writing, not religion or faith so I doubt I'll start preaching anytime soon. I'll leave that to ministers.

As for the Catchpa's, it's taken me five attempts sometimes. I know they're difficult for a reason, but do they have to be THAT difficult.

E. Arroyo said...

Congrats!

Deana said...

That is great news! Congrats:)
And I believe that you can reach your goals, you have done a good job of it so far:)

Milo James Fowler said...

Earn as you learn -- I like it. So cool about the regular column, and well done on reaching your February Write1Sub1 goals!

Martin Willoughby said...

EA: Thankyou.

Deana: Awww shucks. I don't set the bar too high, but then I also keep the other goals turning over and producing stuff to meet them.

Milo: Good slogan isn't it. I remember it from somewhere, but can't think of the source.

Caitlin said...

Congratulations, that's really exciting! And you've done so well reaching your goals so far that I think you'll have no problem getting the rest of them accomplished. You always seem to be so motivated!

Rhonda Parrish said...

Yay! Congratulations on the new columns you'll be doing, and on meeting your W1S1 goals for February

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on hitting your Write1Sub1 goal for February.

Dave K

Martin Willoughby said...

Caitlin: There are days when I'm motivated and weeks when I'm not but comments like yours really help me to stay focused on my goals. Thankyou.

Rhonda: Thanks.

Martin Willoughby said...

Dave: Thankyou for dropping by to say so.

Patsy said...

Congratulations on getting asked to write a column - and on your W1S1 success.

Martin Willoughby said...

Patsy Thnaks. I just had reply from January' sub and it was a no. I'll just have to send it somewhere else.

RAJEEV KULSHRESTHA said...

very nice

Kelley said...

Congratulations! This is so exciting.

And that is a great goal.

Martin Willoughby said...

Rajeev: Thanks for dropping by to say so.

Kelley: Little and often is what I say.