Monday, January 09, 2012

WritingRaw

Not a WIP today, but an appeal.

WritingRaw.com is a writing website whose aim is 'to serve the literary community with the opportunity to have their work online and out in the world'. In the past year they have had several problems with a lack of material and the January issue wasn't emailed out for this reason.

Here's the email I and other subscribers received from them.

.........................

People would like to know what has happened to the January issue of WritingRaw.com. The answer is easy, but quite sad too. We did not get enough submissions to put together a new issue. Fiction-wise we did but there were only 6 poetry submissions, 2 for the contest, and some of the people who were doing columns were not able to do them for January. I am again lost on how to proceed with the site. Without submissions there is no point – unless I can figure out a way to redevelop the site into something that does not require submissions. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I believe in what we are doing, and believe in all of the authors who have appeared on WritingRaw.com, but it would seem that an online literary magazine just does not work. Am in the process of discovering how to continue with the material that I do have… Again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

.........................

I will be sending my feedback to them in the next day or so.

Sites like WritingRaw that do not charge for their content, or pay, are getting rarer, but without them new writers will find it harder to get 'out there'. If nothing else, they give the writer a feeling of hope that their writing isn't total rubbish.

Some sites will die out as part of natural wastage and this may be the case with WritingRaw, but as it is the site that has given me a column and published a short story for me I do feel an affinity to it.

Give it a look over, and see if it appeals to you. If not, tell them why. If it does, send them something.

See you on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Patti said...

I hadn't even heard of this website. I'll go take a look.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

I wish I had more time to submit short storys, but with full time work and novel writing, time is at a premium.

E. Arroyo said...

I'll check it out. =) Thanks,

Martin Willoughby said...

Patti: It's certainly worth a look.

Cindy: These sites aren't for everyone, but it may be worth checking out from time to time for a read.

EA: Enjoy.