Monday, January 23, 2012

WIP And An Award

I have been given an award: the Versatile Blogger Award.


It is with great pleasure that I accept the award for being a versatile blogger from Nick Wilford on his Scattergun Scribblings blog. I'd like to thank all those who made me what I am today...I'd like to but I won't, I'm mean and horrible like that.

As a recipient of that award I am duty bound to do the following:

1. In a post on your blog, nominate up to 15 fellow bloggers for the Versatile Blogger Award.
2. In the same post, add the Versatile Blogger Award.
3. In the same post, thank the blogger who nominated you in a post with a link back to their blog.
4. In the same post, share 7 completely random pieces of information about yourself.
5. In the same post, include this set of rules.
6. Inform each nominated blogger of their nomination by posting a comment on each of their blogs.


Here are my nominees:
1. Caitlin at All about growing up and becoming a famous author. It makes me smile and gives me pause for thought.
2. Milo at In Media Res. For giving me a lot to think and laugh about, especially Coyote Cal.
3. Valentina at Letters from Valentina Hepburn. It's varied and interesting.
4. Lisa at Lisa Shafer: A Writer's Blog. This woman has me laughing out loud and her photostory competitions can be a hoot.
5. Nicole at Peace, Love, Nicole. For writing a life blog that is not only varied and entertaining, but also interesting and honest.
6. Ted at Ted Cross Blog. Not only an author but a diplomat. His stories about his travels around the world are fascinating to read as are his pieces on his writing.

I now have to give you seven random pieces of information about me:
1. My kids call me Baldatron. A confluence of having a bald patch and them watching Transformers far too often for my own good.
2. I HATE music in shops and eating places. It's way too loud and instrusive.
3. I graduated from University at the age of 34 with a degree in History and German language, then used that to get a job as a computer programmer.
4. I used to collect compliment slips.
5. One of my dreams is to have my own library.
6. I home educated my two eldest children through their teenage years.
7. I love baking cakes as I get to eat the leftover raw cake mixture, and there's always lots leftover as I seem to make too much each time. I also eat raw pastry.

Well, aside from telling the nominees, that's my award speech completed. Now, on with the play.

------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't come up with a title for this play yet, so I'm open to suggestions. You can read scene 1 if you want to get in the mood.

Scene 2

Margaret and the girls enter stage right.

Elena: My feet hurt

Elizabeth: Stop complaining.

Margaret: We're here. The village is just beyond the edge of the forest. We should start seeing people now.

Elena: I'm hungry. We haven't eaten for three days.

Margaret: We ate this morning.

Elena: Not much.

Elizabeth: Would you rather be back at home, well fed and dead?

Elena: No

Elizabeth: Then stop complaining.

Elena: But I'm...

Margaret: Stop it, both of you. (She beckons them close and hugs them) That village isn't our home anymore, this one is and we're nearly there. Elena, your grandfather will give you some food and somewhere to rest. And both of you: we'll start anew here.

Elizabeth: What if grandfather's dead?

Margaret: He wasn't last time I heard news from the village.

Elena: That was when I was born.

Elizabeth: That was a long time ago, mother. He may not...

Margaret: STOP IT! There's nowhere else for us to go. IF he's not alive, then I don't know what we'll do. I'll have to find somewhere for us to work. I don't know everything I'm just doing my best.

The girls hug their mother and together say, Sorry.

As they stand there a man walks on from stage left.

Man: And who would you three be?

The three of them turn round to face the man.

Margaret: My name is Margaret and these are my daughters Elizabeth and Elena. We've come to see my father, Harold Blackman. He is, was, the local blacksmith.

Man: Harold. I take it you're his daughter. You left some years ago to marry a man called...what was his name...Peter?

Margaret: Philip. Philip Thompson.

Man: Ah yes. You were his only daughter. His only child. And you left him.

Margaret: You look familiar.

Man: Older certainly, but I don't think I was familiar.

Margaret: Albert? Albert Potter?

Man: No. That was my elder brother.

Margaret: Oh. Does he still live here?

Man: In a way. We buried him four years ago. You can visit his grave in the churchyard if you want.

Margaret: I'm sorry to hear that.

Man: He wasn't best pleased when you moved away. He wanted you for his own.

Margaret: I know, but I wasn't...

Man: You didn't want to marry a lowly farmer.

Margaret: No, I...

Elena: Is my grandfather alive?

pause

Man: No. He died nearly ten years ago. His apprentice took over the smith. He may still have some of your father's things, but I doubt it. (He starts to walk off, stage left, then stops) A lot of people remember what you did Margaret. Without your father here, you may find it difficult to find anyone to take you in.

exit stage left

Elizabeth: Mother. What do we do?

Margaret: We carry on. What else can we do?

Elena: But mother?

Margaret: But what? Do we have another choice? Do you know somewhere else we can go? (pause) Let's hope that he was wrong about the village. Let's hope that someone will help us.

they exit stage left

------------------------------------------------------------

As always comments are welcome. I have a few ideas to improve the scene which I'm working on, but would appreciate any input you can give.

Have a good start to the week, and I'll see you on Wednesday.

16 comments:

Ted Cross said...

Thank you, Martin!

Valentina Hepburn said...

Thanks so much, Martin. I'm very flattered.
Love Valentina.

Caitlin said...

Thank you so much! And hehe, love your kids name for you. ;)

Roxy said...

What a great name for a blog! I dream of owning my own library someday, too. Enjoyed the scene from your play.

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Congrats on the award, Martin!

E. Arroyo said...

Congrats!!

Martin Willoughby said...

Ted: You're very welcome. You have an interesting blog.

Valentina: I look forward to your 'seven things'

Caitlin: They have other names for me too.

Roxy: Thankyou for dropping by. At the moment I just have bookshelves, but one day.....

Cindy: takes a bow

EA: takes another bow...and puts his back out OUCH!

Milo James Fowler said...

Congrats and thanks, man; y'are too kind. And holy cow, "Baldatron"! If that's not worth at least a short story all its own, then I don't know what is. =]

Lisa Shafer said...

Baldatron. I like it. ;)

Thanks for the award. I haven't received a blogging award since my original blog had to go private quite some time ago. I am flattered.
I'll give it some thought and post on this later this week.

And another thanks because your posting about me led to an increase in book sales today! I was surprised.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I'd love to have my own library, too. Congrats!

Martin Willoughby said...

Milo: I have some inventive and creative kids...especially when it comes to giving me nicknames.

Lisa: I look forward to your post and congrats on the sales.

Cindy: One day our dreams will come true.

Deana said...

Congrats on the award! You have a great blog so I can see why you got it:) And I think it is very cool that you like to bake cakes!

Patti said...

Congrats on the award and my husband could probably have that nickname as well.

As for the scene, I love the idea of her father being dead and no one likes her, but I'd like to see it as opposed to being told it. Maybe have her go into the village and show how people treat her. Just a thought.

Martin Willoughby said...

Deana: Thankyou. It's not just the baking I love, it's the eating too.

Patti: Thanks for the play comment. It's a good point.

Nick Wilford said...

You were one of the first I thought of to nominate, Martin. Always good for advice and laughs!

I'm collecting rejection slips (and emails). My wife is mad on cakebaking, and very creative with the decorating. I keep saying she should start a business, or at least a blog...

Looking forward to scene 3. I don't have much to suggest, other than the Man saying "I take it you're his daughter" is unnecessary, considering the previous line. That's a bit nitpicky. I know it's only a draft!

Martin Willoughby said...

Nick: Thankyou. Being nitpicky is good at this stage and your comment is appreciated. It's someting I will have another look at and if I can't justify it being there, will delete or replace it.