Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Too Focused?

In the past three days I have updated/edited the first three chapters of my new novel. On top of that I have written the first scene and the outline of a play and the first chapter of another novel in a different style to the one I had origianlly planned. Is this distraction a good idea?

Yes. It gets it all out of my head and onto a page so I don't have to remember anything.

By writing all this stuff down, it has freed me from a lot of worry about those stories and ideas and left me to concentrate on the main task, which is writing the new novel. It's something I heartily recommend for anyone who suffers from this overload of ideas.

In the past I have written down all the comedy material I had swimming around my head for a standup routine (no I haven't performed it yet). In a folder on the shelf to my right are pieces of paper on which I've written ideas over the past ten years which I may well go back to at some point.

In short, don't worry about being distracted by other ideas, just write them down and get on with your WIP. There is such a thing as being too focused.

See you Friday.

4 comments:

Lisa Shafer said...

Sounds like you're buzzing right along.
The first draft is always the hardest for me.

Hamel Moric said...

I have the issue of getting an idea and putting the current one on hold to cater to that one. Self control is key I think. I wish you luck with your edits :D

DRC said...

ark at you...busy little bee.

I have numerous ideas floating around my head, ideas for the next novel and a good three or four after. But I never write them down. I never forget them either. I seem to have developed a computer file somewhere deep in the back of my mind and all the ideas are stored there for easy access. Strange but for me, effective.

Look forward to reading the new chapters sometime...

Martin Willoughby said...

Lisa: Buzzing so much I can't sleep some nights.

Hamel: That sounds like displacement. Putting off finishing things by doing something else.

DRC: Lucky you. I have a mind like a sieve...whatever your name is.